Monday, January 16, 2017

The Steve Sheinkin Long Weekend






I am taking the liberty to declare this past Friday - this Tuesday the "Steve Sheinkin Long Weekend." There.  I've done it.  And here's why:

On Friday, Steve graciously took the 40 mile trip south to Maple Hill Middle School to meet with some very eager and enthusiastic readers.  The Steve Sheinkin planning team, which included the librarian. some teachers and even the principal, did an amazing job making the whole day great!  I was lucky enough to have some time to visit with both my former students and Steve.  It's always wonderful to see kids excited about reading and meeting an author.  It's easy for me to get kids excited about primary and early middle grade book creators but middle schoolers are different and the team managed to do it! There was no denying that these kids were excited to be in Steve's presence.

The Entrance

Steve was welcomed on Maple Hill's "Steve Sheinkin" version of a "red carpet", the grid iron (Of course, my camera batteries died right at the moment but here are a few anticipatory photos):



Lunch

If you read at least two of Steve's books in the past few months, you were invited to a special pizza lunch with him.  I envy the lucky kids who got to sit on either side and across from him.









The Presentation

Granted I was only able to catch a little bit of it, but I can tell you that the audience in the library was filled with attentive and interested listeners.  You received a ticket into the program if you read at least one Steve book in the past few months.  








Librarian, Mrs. Squier, introducing the special guest









Happy Book Birthday!

You can't have a birthday party without cake and Friday was no exception.  Happy Book Birthday to UNDEFEATED! So glad you could celebrate it a few days early at Maple Hill Middle School, Steve!



You now I had to ask these kids to leap for me! Not too bad for being out of practice!
Even Mrs. Squier got into it!


2:30 PM

Hands down Mrs. Karen Harris, retired fifth grade teacher, is Steve Sheinkin's biggest fan.  Look! Even he knows it!




Sunday's New York Times

I loved opening up my Sunday NYT Book Review to find this great review of UNDEFEATED:


I was so happy that I leapt!

Tuesday Pub Date

What is your plan for tomorrow?  I know!  Go out to your nearby Indie bookstore, pick up your own copy of UNDEFEATED and try not to tackle anyone in the process of buying the book and getting comfortable on your couch.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard great things about this book, and I'm a bit behind on the Steve Sheinkin bandwagon. I've only read The Port Chicago 50. Time to catch up! It looks like it was great fun!

    ReplyDelete