Sunday, August 27, 2017

Grit, Passion, Smiles and the Fun-Brarian




I took a break for a week from listening to audiobooks while I ran and tuned into the TedRadio Hour. Now that was inspiring, especially the episodes on success and education. I have been thinking a lot about both of those topics this summer, especially success.

I spent a few days with my cousins in North Carolina at the end of July.  I met their friends, Dave and Tasha, the owners of Rite Lite Signs in Concord. Very nice people who 28 years ago with only a ladder, a garage and $2500 from Dave's grandmother began their path to success.  I was fascinated to hear their story and tour the facilities. Honestly, I will never look at a sign the same way again.

Dave giving me the tour of the Rite Lite facilities. 

Choose Your Neon


Dave, Cousin Linda, Me, Cousin Dave, and Tasha with the obligatory leap!


 Was the key ingredient to their success grit?


In the past several years, I have offered summer book groups. We get together, have a snack and discuss the book.  Usually I don't get too many kids and this year was no exception.  In fact, I might have had fewer kids than ever, but I'm still going do it next year.





My husband came right out and asked me after the fourth one, one that actually was well attended according to the summer standards, "Why do you do this? Why put yourself through this for 1-2 kids?" Why?  Because I love it.  Why? Because I'm making a difference in the lives of those 1-2 kids. Why? Because I'm completely and totally passionate and driven about my job. 'Nuff said.



Two different, unrelated friends, told me recently on separate occasions that I must really love my job.  Is it that obvious? I can't remember if they were commenting because of my Twitter feed, FaceBook posts or my incessant leaps with books, illustrators, authors and students.  One even told me that if I don't love my job, I'm doing a great job faking it.  No fake news here, they nailed it.  I do love my job.  The forever optimist, I smile A LOT at school and just all the time. I'm happy.  And little did I know that one smile could taste so good, better than chocolate:




I've been thinking about my professional goals lately, too.  It was further sparked by this article, "Engineering Happiness at Zappos".  After I read it, I posted on Twitter that I was available to be a "Fun-brarian" at Zappos and we had a little back and forth. They don't have a librarian at the moment.  Of course, I have no desire to leave the job I love, although "Fun-Brarian" is pretty tempting.

Dear Zappos, 
Any chance you have an opening for a Fun-brarian position on weekends, school breaks and summers?  If so, I'm your girl!  I'm not kidding! I have grit, passion, dedication, smiles and hugs to share and definitely a sense of humor (a requirement when working in elementary education).  

It looks like those folks at Zappos are already having fun but maybe another company?

Another school year is about to begin.  It's going to be a great one, I just know it.  At the end of the 2014-15 school year, after the dust had settled from Spring visits from both Chris Grabenstein and Kwame Alexander, a colleague told me he was worried.  Knowing how competitive I am with others and myself, how could the next year possibly compare to this year?  And yet we managed to do some more amazing stuff that year and this past one.  In June, I asked him if he worried about me anymore. He flat out said, "No." We don't know what's lies ahead for us, but we know it's going to be AWESOME. As I told him recently via email, sometimes it's just a matter of clicking the "send" button. Happy, happy 2017-18 school year to all!

PS-Dear Ted Talk, If you ever want someone to leap onto your stage, I'm your girl...That's a goal of mine...lol...

No comments:

Post a Comment