Sunday, October 22, 2017

What I read this week and beyond


Last week I finished three VERY different books. 

With book birthdays and surprises out of the way, I had some time to do one of things I really love. Read.

Better Off UnDead

James Preller's newest middle grade novel, Better Off UnDead will be released to the world appropriately on Halloween. Right before 7th grade, Adrian was in an accident that, by some miracle, brings him back to life as a zombie. He and his group of friends ("We were an unusual group of misfits but it felt ok. We didn't belong anywhere except with each other.") end up fighting the Bork twins (hmm...sounds a little like some other brothers we know. Koch, perhaps?) who are out to get Adrian's secret to living. One part environmental message, one part "big brother is watching you" and a whole lot of figuring out middle school ("It was like there was a new book for kids my age, but no one had a copy of it.  We all had to make it up as we limped along.").  Fans of mystery, zombie humor, and just middle school friendships and relationships will all love this book. I can't wait to share it with my students!

Patina

At the same time I listened to Patina, Track 2 in Jason Reynolds's middle grade series about runners. Ghost left us off at a race and Patina picked up right after that. How could anyone not love Patty? This is her story racing to the finish line. She has a lot to run through but she is strong.  Along the way she realizes who she is, what family means, what it's like to fit in and not fit in and what identity means. Just as Ghost left us hanging at the end, so does Patina...Blah! But it's so good and I am already looking forward to Track 3.

BTW--Make sure you check out the October 30 issue of People Magazine!  Jason Reynolds is in it!



Dear Martin

I switched my whole workout routine for Dear Martin, the important debut YA novel by Nic Stone. This book just came out on Tuesday.  I had a netgalley copy and then I purchased the hardcover on Wednesday.  I can't read and run on the treadmill at the same time so there I was, two nights in a row, on the stationary bike. I worked up a sweat but I don't think as much as if I had been running.  But it was worth it.  A car with the windows down with music blaring pulled up to me at a light this afternoon and I couldn't help but think of Justyce and Manny.  There is some heavy duty stuff in this book but it is another "must read" that ties in Martin Luther King, Jr. with today.  What would Martin think of everything that is going on the world today? What would he say? Could he help us cope?

ps-Local folks:  Nic is coming to Albany on December 7 through the Writer's Institute. I'll be there for sure!

What am I reading this week?

Finally, after weeks and weeks--All exaggerations aside, I put this book on hold in July--I finally hit #1 on the audiobook for Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson. Woah.

When an infant is killed back while in the care of 9 year old Mary and her mother, Mary is convicted of the crime. Allegedly. This is her story now as a teenager. My heart is racing just thinking about the book and I'm only on Chapter 3.  I imagine this will be one of those weeks that my runs will be long, my bathroom will sparkle, my kitchen floors will shine, my laundry will be folded very precisely and, as just happened right now, I will drive under the speed limit and not pass at the broken line because I can't concentrate on anything else but Mary's words.

I am also planning on reading and finishing The First Rule of Punk by Celia Perez.  I'm attending the Bank Street Book Fest on Saturday (can't wait!) and will be participating in a small group discussion, "Noisy Roosters and Hungry Chupacabras: What’s New in Latinx Kid Lit" in which this book is one of them.

Here's a great interview from last month on NPR:

So now I am off to do my chores.  Please don't bother me, I'm listening...






No comments:

Post a Comment