Wednesday, January 10, 2018

LOVE


Everyone was talking about LOVE. I didn't think I could go wrong by throwing a book birthday party without even turning one page before pub date.

My friend, Alicia, wrote that it will "unequivocally be a classic."
Mr. Schu was posting about it.
The New York Times published an article about Loren Long that will make you even more in awe of him than you already are.
Matt de la Pena wrote an inspiring thoughtful article in Time magazine that has already been shared thousands of times.

Yes, the book world was talking and I wanted in on the action. With at least three starred reviews and an author and illustrator that I trusted would create one beautiful book how could LOVE be anything but wonderful. Today was the day I found out I was right.

The bookstore ordered me 30 copies of LOVE.  Unbeknownst to them (and me!), I managed to sell all 30 copies!  I bet we could have sold more, especially after the fact.  It always amazes me when I sell books and the illustrator or author isn't even visiting in person. Imagine if they had been there--I guarantee they would have gone through a couple of pens each.

Six classes came to the party: One first grade, four second and one third, totaling about 150 kids. Sounds like a recipe for rowdy behavior.  Nope. You could hear a pin drop when I read the book out loud.  Note: I had not read it before and got choked up at the end.  Alicia had warned me about that but I really didn't think it could happen and yet there I was with a big ole' frog in my throat.  When I finished, I asked the kids to describe how the book made them feel.  The very first answer was "calm."  Step aside yoga, pick up a copy of LOVE.  And I believe her.  It was like all 150 of us had just let out a deep breath and begin mindfulness.

But that's not all.  And I'm not talking about the heart shaped brownies and chocolate covered marshmallows made on the spot from a chocolate fountain that Mrs. Seres brought in.  I'm talking about a virtual visit from Matt and Loren right there in Castleton Elementary's old gym.

Could you please pass me some calming pills? My heart was racing.  Next came the sweat. If the technology failed, I just wasted Matt and Loren's time.  OR my mighty iPhone 6, could save the day and be my hero.

Ring. Ring. FLASH. There they were.  Matt and Loren.  Loren and Matt.  In our "old gym." With 150 kids. Talking about their new book that EVERYONE is talking about. Pinch me NOW. We sang "Happy Birthday" and a student from each grade asked a question. My principal was amused at my Hollywood reaction when they appeared on the screen.  "You would have thought that was Matt Damon and Brad Pitt up there."  Funny how he chose those actors.  Not my type. And anyway, there they were, Loren and Matt sitting side by side talking with us about their book, deserving every LA scream I had in me.


I'm trying to pinpoint what makes this book so special.  The language speaks to all of us, just as love is universal.  No matter who you are, you will find at least one page that you can relate to.  There were a few for me but the one that hit my heart the hardest was picturing my husband and I under the yellow umbrella.  "Your loved ones will stand there like/puddles beneath their umbrellas,/holding you tight and kissing you/and wishing you luck." Say it isn't so that some day soon I will be letting go. Until then, I will wrap my daughter's love all around me like a king sized down comforter. LOVE.

Thank you Matt and Loren for bringing LOVE into Castleton, New York today. Of course, I'm leaping.



LOVE is...



5 comments:

  1. Ahhh...I'm tearing up the again!! Love is a very special book and I like you can't pinpoint how to describe. I feel like it's because love is an emotion that can be felt differently by each and every one of us. Bravo to you for making this a very special day for your students, teachers and me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE reading about your day! Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE reading about your day! Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE reading about your day! Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE reading about your day! Peggy

    ReplyDelete