Sunday, February 18, 2018

Ghost Boys



I can't stop thinking about the poetic, thought provoking, new middle grade novel, Ghost Boys, by Jewell Parker Rhodes.  I guarantee it will stick with you well after you finish it, too.

This is not just the story of Jerome, our present day 12 year old protagonist from Chicago recently shot and killed by Officer Moore.  It is also 1955 Emmett Till's story who comes back as a "ghost boy" and all the other "ghost boys" who have followed.

Told from Jerome's first person point of view alive and as a ghost, this is the chilling account of the day he was murdered and what follows.  The sadness his Ma and Pa cannot shake.  The relationship "Ghost Boy" Jerome begins with Sarah, Officer Moore's 12 year old daughter. The guilt Carlos, Jerome's new friend, carries with him. Grandma and little sister, Kim, moving forward. We witness it all.

I'm struggling with who I will recommend read this.  The publisher is suggesting 10 and up.  Will I feel comfortable reading it with my fifth graders?  I think so?  It is such an important book that can serve as a precursor for readers of anything by Jason Reynolds and the newly multi-medal winning The Hate You Give. This can get a very important conversation started between teachers, librarians, students, parents, administrators.

And it will encourage anyone to dive into further research, just as I did.  I hopped onto Britannica because I was curious about how the elementary level would address Emmett Till.  I was pleased to find the entry for him was appropriate and verified much of what was included in Ghost Boys.

"Everyone needs their story heard."  Thank you, Jewell, for writing Jerome's story for young people. His words will help to bring up the past with hopes of making a difference in the future.

"Only the living can make change."  -JPR

I'm now ready to find out what these rising sixth graders (we are past the 100th day of school) think.  Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment