Monday, March 5, 2018

Hope in the Holler

HOPE IN THE HOLLER

Plea, pen, plan, rope, pine, peer, help, hint, rot, PO (post office--does that count?)...I've never been good at word games. I hate to admit this but my fifteen year old daughter has beaten me the past three nights in Scrabble. That said, I'm sure you can find many more words in the title.  But...are yours all relatable to the story?  At least I can say mine are. And there's one more four letter word that I will keep to myself, but know that it describes exactly what life is like with Samantha Rose as your unofficial guardian.

When 12 year old Wavie's mom dies of cancer, she ends up with her mom's only living relative, Samantha Rose. It is strange, though, because her mom never mentioned she had a sister.  With a court date looming that will assign Samantha Rose guardianship, Wavie and her friends try to stall all plans to keep this from happening because life in Conley "Convict" Hollow is just plain awful.  Imagine Cinderella in Appalachia, but worse.  No ball in Wavie's future as long as Samantha Rose is in charge. 

Or is there?  With her gifted and talented neighbors and friends, Gilbert and Camille by her side, a dash of perseverance, hope, courage and a positive attitude, maybe there is light at the end of Convict Hollow.

A combination of the play on words and the southern setting, had me thinking of Natalie Lloyd immediately.  Then I couldn't get Wish by Barbara O'Connor out of my head either.  The characters are lovable, diverse (ethnically and socioeconomically) and relatable. The story is so full of heart and hope and as sweet as the tea in Kentucky.  Get your copy today!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the lovely review!! I appreciate you taking the time to read and to post your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete