Monday, October 1, 2018

SURPRISE!

My last texts to him were kind of salty.
"I'm fully entrusting you that this will all be great," I wrote.

My thoughts were saltier.
This just better be good.

He was making an announcement and wanted to Skype with my 5th and 6th graders.

Everyone had their theories.
He's announcing a new book.
He wants to put your picture in a book.
He's decided to film The Crossover movie in Castleton.

But why have Jason [our superintendent, former principal] involved?
He's giving him an award.
He just likes him and wants to "see" him.

None of the theories sounded like good enough reason to pull 150 kids together, out of their schedule, for one Skype.

That morning I had a thought...
Nah...
Couldn't be...
Maybe?
So I opened up Facebook.  Nothing even close to upstate New York.
When I told a colleague my thought, she suggested I ask him to send me his location.
I was too busy setting up a Google Hangout lunch with fifth graders in Texas,
Sharing a book about mistakes to first graders and
Making sure the technology was working to worry about pinning his location.


The Communication guy showed up with his camera.
The IT guy sat near the computer.
My principal asked me if I was nervous.
"Heck yeah.
150 kids and all these busy people with
No clue what it's about."



It
Will
Kwame and Randy in our "Kwame Room"
All
Be
Fine.
He assured me.
Will it?

And it was.
And there they were
A whole new crop of unforgettable Kwame STARS walking out of school elated.
I cannot wait to see them on Monday and
Relive the whole experience.

I was surprised at my bridal shower.
I was blown away when I won "Teacher of the Year."
And I went into shock when Kwame showed up at school on Friday.


Yeah, so sorry for being salty.
Thank you, my friend.


You know life is good when you have matching leggings with a first grader AND Kwame visits!


2 comments: