Friday, January 11, 2019

Pastries and Prose #1





I am not a morning person.
But I can name at least 15 4th graders who are.

Yesterday was the kick off of my "Pastries and Prose" book club, a half hour before school started.  It was pitch black when I pulled into the parking lot and the only other car there belonged to Miss Sherrie in the cafeteria.

I signed up to lead an extra curricular  book club but with a late bus only three days a week and art club, KKids, intramurals, student council and students just needing to stay after school for extra help, I thought I would try offering a before-school club.  And I love doughnuts so this would be the perfect opportunity to indulge.

Having never run a club like this before I didn't know what we would do (and honestly I still don't) but at least we have a focus.  I pulled all my "treat" related books and put them out.  The kids enjoyed juice and pastries and then all gathered to listen to The Hole Story of the Doughnut by Pat Miller and illustrated by Vincent X. Kirsch.  These 4th graders have Sibert on their mind so they really wanted to read one of the nonfiction titles.  We already know that next week's book will be How the Cookie Crumbled: The True (and not so true) Stories of the Invention of the Chocolate Chip Cookie by Gilbert Ford. Not really a pastry, but close enough.

We also talked about getting into groups and reading graphic novels like Bake Sale by Sara Varon and Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit by Jarrett Krosoczka (perhaps our own early riser lunch lady will join in for that one).  I invited my 6th grade Reading Ambassadors to come as mentors and they really want to read different books and hold debates. I'll need some extra coffee for that.

I think they enjoyed it.  The true testament will be if they return before sunrise next Thursday.  In the meantime, can you please pass the chocolate frosted with sprinkles.

Chase BEFORE his tooth fell out.
PS-That's a reusable cup filled with OJ!

PS-Shout out to Laurie Keller for the idea to call my club "Pastries and Prose."  It stuck and I love it! Of course, don't look for her books in the picture--they are all checked out!

1 comment: