Thursday, February 14, 2019

LOVE

(Warning: You will need at least 15 minutes to get the most out of this post 💙 but it will be worth it.)


A couple of weeks ago I heard this on the radio:


  Just by sharing it on our announcements, a couple of kids wrote poems.

But I wanted more.


So on Monday morning I shared Matt de la Pena and Loren Long's beautiful book, Love, to the whole third grade.  I played the last two minutes of the above NPR segment and challenged kids to write their own love poems. WOW.

I recorded each student saying one line from their poems to form a class LOVE poem.




I submitted the class poems to NPR thinking they were awesome and how cool would that be for us to be on the air.  Well, little did I know over 2000 entries were received! This was aired today:



Leave it to Kwame--that crowdsourced poem is GOOD.

So even though we didn't make it on the air, I still feel like we are winners all around.  Winners for writing beautiful poetry. Winners for listening to beautiful poetry.  And winners for loving. love is love. Love is poetry. Love is everything.  ðŸ’›

PS-Mrs. Fowler, the 7th grade English teacher participated, too. Here are a couple of her entries from students.

Love is teal,
mysterious like the ocean;

Love is a tulip,
growing, gentle and sweet;

Love is a dog,
loving and listens;

Love is a fire truck,
coming here for you when you feel down or broken;

Love is a lullaby,
Soothing you to sleep;

Love runs everywhere,
Making everyone feel happy;

Love is there when you need it most!
-CT

Love Is

Love is yellow,
Happy and smiley;

Love is a flower bud,
Ready to burst open with happy laughter;

Love is a panda,
Happy and positive;

Love is an ice cream truck,
Playing a happy song as it goes along;

Love is a jazz song,
Relaxing and calm;

Love is a not knowing when happiness is there,
But knowing it is there when you need it;

Love is my best friend,
Love is my Grandma!

-CC





No comments:

Post a Comment