Friday, October 25, 2019

BLOOD MOUNTAIN by James Preller


5th grade, Reading Ambassador, Tyler,just finished reading Blood Mountain by James Preller. The book came out a few weeks ago.  After reading Tyler's review, you're going to want to add it to your TBR and to order pile.
Have you ever been lost?  Blood Mountain is about two kids, Grace and Carter, who go on a day hike with their dad. You know how that can be...slow, steady, boring.  So, the kids run ahead. They follow a deer trail for too long and too far out to find their way back. Now, they're lost.
For many days they are out on their own, surviving only on five energy bars and their dog as their companion. The first night they spend under a log. They seek out other creative places to sleep.
While out in the wild, Grace falls, cracks her ribs and ankle. Carter sets out to find help. He meets a man named, John, who lives in the woods.  John experienced war and Carter reminds him of a kid who he witnessed being killed. John doesn't speak much.  Carter gives him new hope.
How can Grace have enough food if she can't go hunting with Carter? Will Carter and Grace ever be found by the rangers who are looking for them? 
I liked how this book was like Hatchet. I liked how the characters work to survive, written in their different points of view. There are even two chapters from the dog's point of view=cool.
I wanted to keep reading it because I wanted to know if Carter and Grace would get saved.  I wanted to know more about John.  He was such a mysterious figure. 
Four and a half stars for this book! I will recommend it to anyone that does not get grossed out by stuff and wants to read a great adventure story that you won't be able to put down. I finished it in two days! 
Bonus--This book made me want to go hiking.  I may run ahead, but not too far!
Thanks for the review, Tyler!

14 comments:

  1. Great Review Tyler! If it's like Hatchet, then I need to check out this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Tyler, thank you so much for reading my new book. What a well-written review. I am quite sure I could not have written anything back in 5th grade with as much skill as you showed here. I'm impressed. While I did not read "Hatchet" in preparation for writing this book, I am a fan of wilderness survival stories. Another influence on this book was Stephen King's "Misery," where the person who saves you . . . might not be so willing to let you go.

    And thank you, Ms. Ratner, the leaping librarian, dedicated to putting good books into the hands of young readers. Where would writers be without people like you?

    James Preller

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the review Tyler. Sounds like a book I need to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well thought out review Tyler! You have a future in books. Keep sending your thoughts to Ms. Rattner so she can share your insights with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://payb.io/
    Buy anything, anywhere, pay with crypto

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just put the wig cap on the sex doll's head and the wig on the love doll's head. ダッチワイフThere are 4 baby pins on the front, back and sides, which can securely attach the wig to the wig cap

    ReplyDelete