Wednesday, March 25, 2020

LOL

I'm a little late today because I took a shower (I know, crazy right?!) AND--wait for it--put on jeans and even a little make up. For my hangouts today, I won't be wearing the same free (?) yet very cozy sweatshirt from Albany Braces or the black sweater I throw on when I feel the need to look "professional." No, today something entirely different.

Ahhh...did that make you laugh?  Oh man, I hope so.  In my next life, I really want to be a stand up comedian.  I know THAT had to make you laugh. Seriously.  I just wish I was talented enough.  Don't worry, for now I'll continue to be a school librarian.

For today's post, I have highlighted a few authors whose books make me laugh. This is not a complete list by any means. PLEASE share books or authors who make you laugh in the comments. Thanks in advance!

Jonathan Fenske

There's an emerging reader book that makes me laugh out loud every time I read it.  It just gets to my funny bone, I guess.  It's Jonathan Fenske's Geisel Honor winning books, A Pig, A Fox and a Box.  The fox thinks he's tricking the pig every time but who gets the last laugh?

Here is Jonathan talking a little bit about the book and then reading the first chapter.


Meet-the-Author Book Recording | A Pig, a Fox, and a Box, Narrated by Jonathan Fenske on TeachingBooks

Jonathan has a lot of other books that will also be sure to make you laugh.  Here's a video of him reading the first part of Hello, Crabby! (another funny one!)


Jon Scieszka

Jon Scieszka's books are sure to make you all laugh.  This one is a classic.




Here's an audio excerpt from Jon's middle grade biography that you can find on SORA if you crave more. It's only 2 hours long, but that's 2 hours of funny.

Book Recording | Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Almost True Stories of Growing Up Scieszka on TeachingBooks

Cece Bell

I first fell for Cece Bell in 2014 before she won the Newbery Honor for El Deafo.  She writes fun books for emerging readers that I love to share with my learners.  Chick and Brain is her new series and it will have you all laughing out loud.

Here is Cece sharing her love for the letter "U" while she draws Chick and Brain:



The second book in the series came out recently, Chick and Brain: Egg or Eyeball?  I haven't read it yet, but definitely look forward to it.  Watch this short video and you will be "doing the egg" all day! I'm getting down with it right now IN MY JEANS!


Send me videos of YOU "doing the egg"!

The Usual Suspects

Of course, who doesn't laugh when reading these series: Jeff Kinney's Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, Big Nate by Lincoln Peirce, Hilo by Judd Winick, Babymouse by Jenni and Matt Holm, and Dogman by Dav Pilkey to name just a few.  What funny books do you love?

Brand New Middle Grade

ICYMI: Fifth grade Reading Ambassador, Jess read an arc of Stand Up, Yumi Chung! by Jessica Kim and loved it. She wrote a review for me in an earlier blog post. Here is a link for activities you can do related to the book from Jessica's website.

Write Your Own Jokes

Got 8 minutes?  Watch this video from Marvin Terban.  He gives lots of tips on how to write simple jokes.  If you write one, please send it along to me.  Of course, I'll credit you if I use it in my bit. 😉


Finally, check out my son's Instagram @zacksgoodjokes.  He posts a new joke pretty much every night! He thinks he's funnier than me.  Hmmm....what do you think?

I'll keep you posted when I'm on the lineup for an open mic.  Until then, I charge YOU to "make 'em laugh" as I leave you with this cover from Glee, originally performed in the movie, "Singin' in the Rain." Perhaps, it will motivate you to create an active, humorous gig today. Enjoy. 🤣





No comments:

Post a Comment