Monday, June 8, 2020

I am Every Good Thing



This week students and I will be reviewing books not yet published. Pre-book birthdays, so to speak.  Our first one was this morning for the beautiful and "calming" (their word), I am Every Good Thing by the fabulous team that brought us Crown: An Ode to a Fresh Cut, Derrick Barnes and Gordon C. James.

Ten kids in grades K-6, attended this preview party and all agreed that if five stars was the best, the book deserved way more.

Derrick's strong and powerful, metaphored and similed filled text about a young black boy and all the wonderful things that make up who he is, highlighted by Gordon's paintings, make for another award winning book. "I am good to the core, like the center of a cinnamon roll. Yeah, that good." 💜 My students thought the text promoted mindful thinking and loved all the vibrant colors throughout.

A boy with many interests was relatable.  One kindergartner's favorite page was the baseball and basketball page. Another one liked the space page.  One second grader connected to the music spread.  Any adult who watches a child on stage will relate and chuckle.You know that time when children are performing and every phone comes out to film the moment?  Gordon got that.

When I asked the kids to complete this sentence, "I think you should buy this book for the library because..." one girl said, "it can make people feel better if they are sad or had a bad day at school." The book is so positive that it should be able to lift up anyone's day.  Another kindergarten said that the message is to be "kind and caring." 

We have been huge fans of Crown since the early days. I had a farmer's son love it so much that he read it aloud to every class he could during National Picture Book Month. When I met Derrick and Gordon at ALA that summer I bought Zach a copy of the book, had them each sign it and then delivered it to the farm when I got home. (Sadly, I didn't even get one for myself.  Well, this one for sure.) Zach will be in 8th grade when this book comes out.  I just might have to surprise him with a copy.

Oh boy...here come the tears.  I was scrolling around Derrick's website and just read his message to his oldest boy, Ezra, when he turned 16. Ahhh...relatable. If you didn't already, make sure and check him out on the #KidLit4BlackLives rally. Yeah, he made me cry there, too.

But this book. It will make you smile.  And look, my students picked up on that, too.  I swear I didn't say anything to prompt them.  They came to their own conclusions and here it is. So, don't delay. Put I am Every Good Thing on your "2020-21 Order List" today.  

"What should we serve at the book birthday party on September 1?" I asked. 

"Something colorful and happy," they all agreed. Hmmm....Skittles?







No comments:

Post a Comment