Thursday, July 9, 2015

Circus Mirandus-Book Group #1

Meeting of the Minds at Panera!

This is how I know I love my job so much.  It's late afternoon in early July.  I am sitting in Panera waiting for seven rising 5th and 6th graders to show up and join me for some cookies and snacks and I am excited!  Wow! These kids were great! We squeezed into a booth and just talked about Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley for 45 minutes!


We discussed our questions, the genre, the theme, the settings, the plot, the characters, everything! And they were so excited to talk about it!  I really didn't have to bring them back on course at all! 

Here are some of their thoughts:
"The theme is courage because Micah was not afraid to stand up to Aunt Gertrudis and he still went into Circus Mirandus even when he didn't have a ticket."
"I'm like Micah because he always stood up for his beliefs."
"My favorite part was when Micah crossed the hole.  My favorite character was the Lightbender.  I like Jenny Mendoza because like her, I would have to see it to believe it."
"Thumbs Up!"
"I liked that it was about magic and fantasy.  I rate it a 4 1/2 [out of 5].  I liked that it started out with a normal life and then the story explained about Circus Mirandus."
"I like Chintzy because she has a lot of attitude."

THIS NEXT ONE HAS A SPOILER!!!!

"4 [out of 5].  I think that they should have mentioned more about Jenny.  I also think  ***SPOILER ALERT**** the grandpa should have stayed alive.  I liked how Grandpa Ephraim thought about Micah instead of himself."


There you go! From the mouths of students they all give it a THUMBS UP!

And of course, we LEAPT!

1-2-3...


JUMP!


 A great time was had by all.  Happy reading folks! 

 
The next book group (Book Scavenger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman) 
will be held at the Castleton Public Library on Wednesday, July 15 at 4:30.  


No comments:

Post a Comment