Wednesday, July 8, 2015

VERY brief book reviews...

CRENSHAW by Katherine Applegate




I read Katherine Applegate's (The One and Only Ivan) newest book, Crenshaw, on the plane to ALA.  I'm surprised no one looked at me as a fool as I cried and had to search for my crumpled tissues at the bottom of my bag.  I got the book from NetGalley on my birthday but didn't have the chance to read it until then.  It's a beautiful story about a boy named Jackson and his oversized imaginary cat friend, Crenshaw.  Jackson's parents are not as financially stable as they used to be and together they are learning to deal with these hard times.  There are great connections to the Caldecott winner, Beekle by Dan Santat and award winning team of Eve Bunting and Lauren Castillo with this year's Yard Sale. I can't wait to share it with students!  It comes out in print on September 22.  I'm sorry we all have to wait that long!

SUNNY SIDE UP by Jenni and Matt Holm 





This book took me right back to the mid-late 70s when I was going to Florida every April vacation with my father.  We got the early bird specials with my grandparents, ate the ambrosia at the buffet, took Eastern Airlines, and drank Tab.  But this book is not all about 70s Florida.  It's about family, friends, comics and superheroes and dealing with family secrets.  Once you start you won't want to put it down.  Matt's detailed illustrations with Jenni's text, make it a perfect combination on any kind of day in any season. Comes out August 25, 2015.

George by Alex Gino

 


4th grader, George, feels he's a girl on the inside.  Read George's story of her struggle of wanting to play the role of Charlotte in the school play, her friendship with her best friend, Kelly and her relationship with her Mom and older brother.  This book goes places that no other books have gone before in the MG category. We all know kids who might be like George.  Just the other night there was a Frontline episode about transgender kids like George.  (Growing Up Trans ) This book will speak to them.  As librarians we will have to be bold to put it on our shelves.  I hope I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment