Friday, September 23, 2016

Just My Luck by Cammie McGovern




A while ago someone asked me if I had read, Just My Luck by Cammie McGovern.  I hadn't and requested it immediately from the library. She said, "Drop everything and read it."  I did just that as soon as it came in.

It's a feel good kind of book that sometimes just gets your heart pumping or the tears rolling.  You know those kinds.  You know, the kind of book that just makes you want to hug the protagonist?

Lots of good questions to ponder, too.  Why is it so important to feel "cool"? Why do we feel better when we get a "footprint" (proof that you performed an act of kindness) just to show that we did something nice? If you're a fourth grader, like Benny, you have a lot on your mind--your father's accident (that you blames yourself for), an autistic brother and some struggles academically.  But with strong family support (I love Benny's family), even with the hardships, this feel good book, does just that, makes you feel good.

All I wanted to do was jump through the pages and give Benny a big footprint.  You will, too, on top of take out your legos, sing in perfect pitch and maybe even go for a bike ride.

Confession time:  I read and wrote this a while ago and it got lost in my drafts.  Tomorrow I am off to the Princeton Book Festival (yay!) and Cammie McGovern is going to be there.  I found this and thought to myself, "Hey! You'd better publish that thing!" so here it is. Better late than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment