Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The Doughnut King

Doughnuts and coffee courtesy of Cider Belly Doughnuts, Albany




After I finished The Doughnut King I went out and bought myself this fancy bar of chocolate. I just had to try Tris's recipe for the "One Ingredient Masterpiece." Unfortunately, time has not allowed me the opportunity to make it yet, but when it does it's reassuring to know that I have the one ingredient on hand.



The companion to last year's The Doughnut Fix by doughnut connoisseur (and foodie), Jessie Janowitz, brings us back to upstate New York (with references of Albany that make this Capital Region dweller smile). But not for long.  Petersville is, for lack of a better word, disappearing.  No one is moving there and business is slow all around. Except for the doughnuts.  Seventh grader and baker, Tris, and his business partner and friend, Josh, just can't keep up with the demand.  I mean, who can blame the public?  I could practically taste the FYO (fill your own) butterscotch doughnuts through the pages.  So when Tris's sister submits an application in his name to be a contestant on the popular kid's cooking competition show, "Can You Cut It?", he can't back down.  The $100,000 prize would cover the Doughnut Robot, a tool he believes will help with production and save Petersville.

When it's time to begin filming the show, Tris et al pack into an airstream (yes, I love this detail) and park in Manhattan, their old stomping ground and, for this family of foodies, home of their favorite eateries.  I'm telling you if I wasn't reading the book on the stationary bike, the pounds would have easily seeped through the pages onto my body: cronuts, croissants, matzoh ball soup, eggs with onions...completely delicious.

"Can You Cut It?" is filled with fierce competition and intensity. I was just as likely to inhale and "OMG" as I was to giggle at the insanity of Chef JJ, the judge. Ever watch Master Chef Jr? Wonder what goes on behind the scenes? When do they take those interviews? What happens in the green room with the contestants? Here's a little imaginative peek.

This May grab your preferred sweet treat (FYO, cronut, ice cream "I think better with ice cream," Tris says early on. Who doesn't really?) and enjoy the ride to Petersville, Manhattan and back.  Much will keep your eyes glued to the text at the same time planning out your next visit to your local doughnut shop and secretly wishing the story wasn't fiction.

ps-Fingers crossed Petersville doesn't disappear and Jessie is already at work on Book 3.


No comments:

Post a Comment