Tuesday, April 2, 2019

LIZZY MCTIZZY AND THE BUSY DIZZY DAY




Yesterday I wore green pants with white polka dots, a grey and yellow striped shirt, a patterned scarf and orange chucks.  On top of that, my hair was extra wild. Thinking about it while dressed more conservatively, yesterday's mixed patterns would have been more appropriate today when we celebrated the book birthday of wild red haired Lizzy McTizzy who is in search of her lost blue shoe so she can have her pair and be off to a birthday party herself.

Four parties down and one more tomorrow.  Am I a little partied out?  Absolutely not.

I'm glad the first party was with Ms. Malone and her kindergarteners.  After reading Sarah Weeks's fun text, we danced the Hokey Pokey. They class suggested we sing "If You're Happy and You Know It" because there is a reference to feet in there as well. So we did. And that song followed me to all the other affairs.

As the hours moved ahead, the treats got sweeter.  Ms. Malone at 8:30 am had pastries.  At 9:40, Mrs. Golden's first graders enjoyed rice Krispy treats. Later on, frosted cookies were a hit with Mrs. Kosinski's and Mrs. Cook's classes.  Needless to say, I did not eat my yogurt until I got home.

I love Lizzy and all she stands for.  Her perseverance in searching for her shoe. She really did look everywhere including someplace by "the underwear"!  Hahahaha. Giggle giggle.  Five and six year olds love that line! Her idea that the party is more important than matching.  I totally get that.

Lee Wildish's illustrations are perfect.  I love Lizzy's big red CURLY hair (I can relate, short the red part).  I love the kid on the playground eating the chocolate bar. And kids love how Lee used his artistic liberty to show that Lizzy's shoe was not by the toilet.

Kids get this story. They enjoy the rhymes.  They love the illustrations and they get the message.  "Be yourself. Be unique. It's ok to be different." If kids like Lizzy McTizzy will be our role models, I know this world will get a lot more kinder, friendlier and colorful!

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
-Oscar Wilde

Have portable giant "photo card" will travel. Some class photos of our day:

Mrs. Kosinski even made her own backdrop for the party!



No comments:

Post a Comment