Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Cupcakes Under My Mask

I am going to be sneaking a lot of cupcakes under my mask today. It is a BIG book birthday day.  

In any other year, planning a party for the 4th day of school would not have phased me.  I don't want my new fixed schedule to dictate what I can and cannot do.  It just may take me a little while to figure out what I can do.

Until then, you and I can raise our glasses and savor the frosting for the following books (my cupcakes are in my lunch box):

I am One: A Book of Action by Susan Verde and Peter H. Reynolds

I am totally just going to download this book today and share with everyone.  Two years ago Susan Verde was our gala visitor and our theme for the whole school year was "I am Me."  I can't wait to read this book. Period. Happy book birthday, Susan and Peter. (And Happy International Dot Day, too!)  Susan--I hope you will be celebrating your birthday mark with roasted cauliflower and broccoli!

PS: If you are remote or get home early, here's an event for you (personally, I will be teaching a second grade class at this time still)




 

NPFM_Cover_finalblurb.jpg

No Place for Monsters by Kory Merritt

I admit, I don't know much about this book except that it was blurbed by Jeff Kinney, Brian Selznick and Max Brailler.  It must have triggered interest during some Fall books webinar this summer as I put its birthday on my calendar.   It's a highly illustrated middle grade novel that I'm sure we will all find fans for quickly and easily.

Nothing in Common by Kate Hoefler and Corinna Luyken

This book was mentioned at at least two fall book previews.  I have loved Corinna's illustrations since her debut, The Book of Mistakes came out in 2017.  This one looks beautiful as well with a great message.  If I was having an in person book birthday party, I would print out these pages for the "goodie bags" and maybe eat doughnuts (any excuse for doughnuts). You know--doughnut binoculars of course!



Three Keys by Kelly Yang

Is there anyone who didn't love Front Desk a couple of years ago? Kids and adults.  We all did.  The sequel comes out today! I can pretty much guarantee that it will be on my Newbery 21 list and I haven't even read it yet!  Check out this offer from Kelly:





The Vanderbeekers Lost and Found #4 by Karina Yan Glaser

It seems like just yesterday that we were reading Karina's debut Vanderbeeker novel and now there are four! Happiest of book birthdays to the newest addition to this fun loving family series.  Are you new to the Vanderbeeker world or just need a refresher? This one's for you:


 I'm sure there are many more birthdays today but my stomach can only handle five cupcakes and two doughnuts (with a side of a Samoa during the I am One event). Happiest of book birthdays to all! 🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂


No comments:

Post a Comment