Tuesday, September 22, 2020

It's Tuesday Again!

No wonder I looked forward to Tuesdays so much during lockdown.  There was ALWAYS cake.  And off key-off sync singing. Smiling faces attached to faces I wished were in 3D.  And just before the end of every party there was me, the annoying mom screaming to my teenagers to come "pick a name RIGHT NOW" for the winners of my weekly raffles.  Never a fan of Tuesdays, but last spring's weekly parties definitely took the edge off my least favorite day.

Do I actually miss that time?  Dare I say maybe a tiny bit?  The parties are on hold for now. Instead it is cart racing to the elevator.  The music teacher. The art teacher. Me.  How many of us can fit in it at once? Reading aloud and giving directions behind a mask to small children spread all over the room = Challenging.  Hooking up my computer to a dozen different adaptors and SmartBoards. Hard. Shannon McClintock Miller's "BookHub" order forms. "Books you love. Delivered." Disappointing kids because they wanted a wolf book and got one about baby mammals. Who knew wolves were so popular? BUT Tuesdays are still Tuesdays and books will always have book birthdays. Today let's pull the party hats out for:


Ben Bee and the Teacher Griefer by K.A. Holt

When I read this book I couldn't wait for it to come out.  Today is the day! Happy Book Birthday! I love each and every one of the characters and think it will appeal to so many different kids. In another time, this would be my middle grade celebration of the day.

Channel Kindness: Stories of Kindness and Community from the Born This Way Foundation and Lady Gaga

I heard about this book at a new book webinar and stuck its birthday on my calendar.  It's a beautiful collection of inspiring stories from young people. Share one each day with middle or high schoolers and come up with ways to "channel" kindness in your community.  Yes, it's cliche but does that really matter? Check out the website.  I'm impressed with how up to date it is.

The Oboe Goes Boom Boom Boom by Colleen AF Venable and Lian Cho

Fun fact about me: I played oboe from 7th grade concert band through my senior year in the college orchestra. Mahler 1 is still one of my favorite pieces of all time.

I'm excited for this book!  It sounds (all puns intended) interactive and a great book to use for a music/library collaboration.  For grades K/1 this year, my music teacher and I each get 20 minutes of the special time.  Fortunately, there are a bunch of highly rated new music picture books and this one is no exception.  Bonus--it already comes with an Educator Guide.

Happy Belated to...


Millionaires for a Month by Stacy McAnulty and Three Keys by Kelly Yang




I attended a Crowdcast event from Bookmarks a few weeks ago with both of these amazing authors. Their books arrived yesterday and I cannot wait to read them! Steve and I had Stacy on our #AuthorFanFaceOff and we are looking forward to stumping Kelly in a few weeks. Stay tuned!




Happy Tuesday to all! 🎂



No comments:

Post a Comment