Saturday, June 27, 2015

Only a day late--Leading up to and arriving in San Francisco for #alaac15

Greetings from the airplane, although by the time I post this I will be on my layover in Las Vegas.  My feet are touching the ground, although I feel like the airplane now and am flying.  Is this all really true?  Am I really headed to hang out with 20,000 librarians  with Kwame and Dan Santat and all the rest?!  I just shook my head.  I hope my seat mates didn’t catch that. 

On my birthday last week, I got an email from Netgalley saying I was approved to read the ARC of Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate.  You know, things have been a tad busy so I just got a chance to read it here on the plane and Wow.   2 ½ tissues later and I can finally get my thoughts on paper.  That’s some beautiful writing right there.  Boy.  I can’t wait to share it with students.  I couldn’t believe the connections to this year’s Caldecott book (Beekle!!!) and Lauren Castillo’s latest illustrations with Eve Bunting’s book, Yard Sale.  A trombone even makes a cameo, which made me smile and think of Trombone Shorty and Bryan Collier.

We had a whirlwind of a last day.  The Morning Assembly went really well.  We shared our “Best Book Ever” and “It’s a Basketball Life” music videos as well as the cover of the NYSUT magazine which features KWAME!  The fifth graders wrote memories of CES and sang beautifully thanks to Mrs. Gibney. I didn’t take a single picture but I know there are a bunch posted on the Schodack webpage.

After the Assembly, Mrs. Harris and I got to work on the NYS Archives project. Reminiscent of two years ago when we were literally working minutes before the buses pulled up, we were doing the same thing today but it was even more stressful.  Honestly, I don’t know how good it is and if the annotated bibliography will pass the inspection, but at least we can say that we submitted it. 


I got a beautiful personalized bag that says, “Librarian” on it.  It’s on my feet right now.  How awesome is that! Thank you, Becka!  I will be the envy of those 20,000 folks tomorrow in San Francisco!

No comments:

Post a Comment