Wednesday, September 30, 2015

A rainy day in upstate NY=Great day for FLOAT by Daniel Miyares

I'm moving into Caldecott territory.  I never really did that before.  Anyone who knows me, knows I'm pretty much all Newbery all the time.  But I just can't let this one go.

Last night I sat at my computer very late at night and was distracted by the sound of the rain.  I woke up this morning as more rain fell.  It was the first day of the 2015-16 school year that we had indoor recess (wish I could say it was the last).  There are puddles everywhere. Needless to say, it's wet outside in Castleton.

Early this morning my eyes caught Float by Daniel Miyares on display in the library. A perfect book to share with students on this rainy day.  Actually, a perfect book to share with anyone anytime.  I haven't met another wordless book that touched me so much since I read my Surf City, New Jersey love, Flotsam by David Wiesner many years ago.

The use of the grays and black, shadows, reflection, the yellow rain suit, the details, the plot, all of it is wrapped up into beautiful wonderfulness.  The two page spread of the pouring rain is so perfect that you can actually HEAR the rain coming down.  No joke.  And it wasn't just me--students agreed and so did other adults.

My K-2 students got it, too.  The noticed the details (ie, marshmallows in the drink=hot cocoa).  They could predict what came next and they understood the feelings of the colors.  We talked about how confident the illustrator must be when he can include a page of one solid color, in this case, black. Hmmm...David Wiesner happened to do that too, in The Three Little Pigs.

I also love the end papers.  Directions on how to make a paper boat in the front and paper airplane in the back.  That's the ribbon on this lovely gift of a book.  I guess I'll be keeping my eye on Mock Caldecott predictions from here on out.

ps-Another winner from my Junior Library Guild book box!

Ms. Malone's Kindergarten class

Mrs. Pryde's first graders PRE JUMP

Leapin Librarian with Mrs. Pryde's leaping first graders!

Mrs. Puccio and Mrs. Seres's second graders



No comments:

Post a Comment