Tuesday, September 8, 2015

GOOGLE Classroom, HONEY, JLG and more = Full first day!

I really cannot remember being this excited about the first day of school!  That's not to say that I didn't have a "wake-me-up" nightmare last night that was only about Kwame Alexander coming to our school and the students being totally unprepared and NOT treating him like the super star rock start that he deserves to be treated like.  And, to top it all off, a sudden snow storm appeared out of nowhere, making it very unsafe for anyone to leave. Agh!  Needless to say, I woke up in a sweat.

I skipped and jumped around all the hallways today.  It was fun to meet the new kindergarteners and get reacquainted with everyone else.  I'm always amazed at how everyone's names pretty come back to me as quickly as they do.

The day started and ended with 5th grade Boot Camp.  We started to read HONEY by Sarah Weeks aloud and I think I transitioned them well from their "detective work" last year to their "Committee work" coming up.  I even wore pink! And, yes, we got a jumping picture with the whole grade!


A little blurry, but we are all jumping!  Leaping into a great year together! Can you tell we are holding up copies of HONEY?


My only break of the week occurred in the mid morning.  I opened up a box from Junior Library Guild and smiled.  I always love getting those books!

In between the 5th graders, I saw a first grade class and a third grade class.  Always a good time.

Doing something new this year with Boot Camp with 4th and 5th--Google Classroom.  I created an assignment in Google Drive and shared it on Google Classroom. The students log in, share the document with me and I am able to see their progress on the tasks almost immediately.  Today the fifth graders only logged in, renamed the document and shared the document.  Everyone was successful.  Tomorrow will be the real test as we pair Boot Camp tasks with Google Classroom/Drive.  I have faith it will all work smoothly.

Logging into Google Classroom for the first time this year!

A safe space under my desk.

Everyone is in teams to work together on their Boot Camp tasks. "Teamwork makes the dream work," right?


A very full but exciting day ahead of me tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment