Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Geisel Committee Finale



We had a wonderful finale to our Geisel Committee project on Friday--A Skype with the 2016 ALA Geisel Committee chair, Amanda Foulk.  It lasted almost a half hour and was great!  We chatted about the Geisel process, and had quite an informative conversation back and forth about the books we loved and why we loved them.  It's always so great to talk about books with people who know them as well as you do!  And we learned that Amanda actually knows those books even slightly better than we do.  As the adult, I listened to what she said and nodded my head, turned to look at Mrs. Pryde and said, "Hmmmm....we never thought of that" or "Wow.  I didn't catch that."  I am sure we will do Geisel again and this time we will be even more tuned in to all these details.  I still can't believe that I had 3 out of 4 of the winning books on my list!  Thank you, Amanda, for taking the time out of your day to meet with us!


Our kids were so excited to hold the Geisel winning books up for Amanda and loved seeing her show us books we favored during the process as she did here with "I Yam a Donkey" by Cece Bell

Yes! The obligatory jump. Notice that I leapt all the way out of the picture?! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment