Sunday, October 23, 2016

We got close to Raina!




It was standing room only on Friday night when hundreds of kids in the 9-10 year old set piled into a church in Saratoga to see and hear Raina Telgemeier speak.  What a great presentation!

A pre-Raina selfie


Even when she was little she wrote in comics and not prose.  I love how she described exactly what a comic is:

"Pictures in sequence that tell a story."

Right.  She makes it sound so simple.  I watched my son, who at one time was a budding graphic novelist, listen to her so intently.  Yes, Jarrett. Raina. Jenni and Matt.  These are all his idols.  At least they used to be but I'm sure there is always a special place in his heart for them.  I know there is in mine.

We learned many interesting tidbits from Raina, as she patiently answered questions from a long line of fans.

When asked what she wanted to do when she grew up, she shared that in her first grade journal it said, "farmer, trapeze artist and then artist."  We're all glad the artist came true!

She highly recommends everyone read Calvin and Hobbes.  I'll have to remember that.  I think I even have a couple of books in my library that I can start recommending.

I loved this question:  Do you ever want to give up?  And Raina's answer:  "800 times a day I want to give up.  Well, maybe 759.  Then I go out and refresh my spirit...It's difficult but I still love it." Thank you, Raina, for reminding these young people (and me) about how important it is to persevere but that even when you have a job you love and it gets overwhelming and challenging and you just want to give up sometimes, that's perfectly normal.  I should take her advice and refresh more than I do....

What's your favorite book for kids?  "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh.  That's my favorite book of all time."  As for books for adults, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingslover.

Sadly, we didn't get a chance to leap together.  I can imagine it might have produced a bit of an uprising from the long line of fans. Can't you just see the headline now? "Crazy Librarian Stops Everything to Leap."  I know. I know.  But what I did realize is that I would have paid a good amount of money to go to an adult event with Raina.  Maybe that is something worth looking into as a fundraiser.  Just a thought.

Our friend, CC, getting her book signed.

Agh! I wish this wasn't blurry but it is cool that they are both looking at me!


Thank you Northshire Bookstore for hosting Raina, making the event accessible for us on a Friday evening and well worth our trip up to Saratoga!  We look forward to supporting you, one of our favorite independent bookstores, again soon!

xo

And afterwards we got ice cream and made sure not to get any on our books!



No comments:

Post a Comment