My fifth grade all-girls book group just finished Lindsay Eager's Hour of the Bees. We celebrated with punch, suncakes (pancakes), chips, salsa and snowcones. Here's what they had to say about the book. Needless to say, it's a winner for them!
"I'm speechless. The contract says '10' but this book went to '11'."
"I like how it started the stories 'Once upon a time...'and then at the end of the story it would say 'Once upon a time...' again.'"
"The ending was really sad and a shock to me."
The girls have some questions for Lindsay:
- What inspired you to write the book?
- If the stories are real, how old is Raul?
- Were you like Carol when you were little?
- Where did the names in the book come from?
- What's your recipe for suncakes?
- Will there be a sequel? If so, you have five girls who will be standing in line the day it comes out to read it!
- Did you ever live in Albuquerque?
- Where did you get the inspiration for the settings like the ranch and the city development that Carol lives in with her family?