Sunday, May 17, 2020

BenBee and the Teacher Griefer



Dear Chronicle,

Please, PLEASE, PLZ, move the pub release date of BenBee and Teacher Griefer up to July or August. EVERY teacher, librarian, administrator, social worker, school psychologist, parent, and middle grade learner needs this book and it would be so great for them to read before the new school year begins.

Sigh.  It is so good.  I rarely walk away from reading the last line of a book to immediately opening up my computer to reflect.  And to be completely honest, on my way, I stopped at the trash can, tossed in my used tissues, grabbed another one and then opened up the computer.

Four divergent kids.
One divergent summer school teacher "She teaches differently/She like, listens to us."
Trying to get them to pass the FART (Florida Rigorous Academic Assessment Test)
Mixed up in the Sandbox in this fantastic
Divergent GENRE of
Verse, prose, graphic novel, video game chats of the "Divergent Dingleberries"
Sprinkled with some references that maybe only adults will get (Ms. J's first avatar will have you singing a popular song from the 80s. And author, "Tennessee Williamson").

Ms. J picks up that Ben B would excel if he was able to type:

"A 504, huh?/Typing every day?/It does sound like jeans/it sounds like a comfortable fit/sized perfectly just for me."
But his dad disagrees and does not like labeling his son "special" with accommodations:
"Am I not special?/Is special bad?/Do I not want to be/special then./I don't understand." 
I told you--this book is for EVERYONE!

Ben Y stays after with Ms. J. It's been a year since she lost her brother:

"Pain/Sadness/It drips out of me/impossible to contain,/like trying to put a raw egg/back in its shell,/a shattered mess,/impossibly crushed,/broken."
I have been a fan of KA Holt since Rhyme Schemer.  She just gets better and better. Put this book on your Fall purchase order, unless dear, Chronicle, moves up the pub date 😉.

Everyone's friend, Jordan J (no relation) who I was most curious about because at the #middlegrademagic2020 event last month when Holt wondered, "What is Jordan doing during quarantine?" Now I'm curious.  Is he playing a lot of Sandbox? How are they all doing?  Talking on the phone? Staying away from chat infractions?

Javier moved from out of state and will not read aloud. "...im never gonna read out loud zero percent chance of that" With a ring of fire, that just might change...

And probably one of the best lines in the book:



I know I have jumped around a lot, but this book is important for ALL.  I cannot wait to read it with my students and get it in the hands of so many adults.

Please, plz, PLEASE Chronicle, if you can, the sooner we can get this out, the better.
THANK YOU!
Sincerely,
A troublemaking librarian 😈
 
PS: Thank you Netgalley for the digital arc!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment