Monday, October 26, 2015

True confessions of an unannounced observation

I completely understand the consequences of me posting on social media my thoughts of today's observation and my feelings of epic failure. However, I think I will feel better if I just come clean. Then maybe I will actually be able to sleep tonight.

First of all it was my own fault! My principal came into the library minutes before my next class, the 9th  sessions out of 10 of kindergarten boot camp. Ahhhh....boot camp. You know I want to change things about the way boot camp ran this year and today helped make me realize I really do need to spend some time on it this summer. 

Back to the principal walking in, with his computer in his hands mind you, so I immediately thought he was planning a visit. But actually, no. He wanted to know about NYLA.  But I quickly interrupted and Boom!  My observation was happening.  Grrrr...me and my big mouth. 

The very well behaved kindergarteners walked into the library and came to sit with me on the rug in the Dewey Section. Today was Caldecott day.  If you know anything about me, awards are one of my favorite things to talk about. And that's exactly what I did and why I felt like such a failure. 

Honestly with only 20 minutes, maybe 25, there really isn't much time for inquiry, sharing, technology especially when my goal is to share great new and classic literature. I had many of my favorites to show, old and new.  It was fun to realize that Sylvester and the Magic Pebble was published the year I was born! Yes! Look that up and you will know how ancient I am!

So we talked Caldecott, medals and then I shared last year's winner, Beekle. By the time we finished reading and discussing (and we had a good discussion, I thought), our time was up. Exhale. Be glad it was over? No way. I thought of all these other things I could have, should have, would have done. Give them the books to look at and rate them. Give them 2016 books (Float!) and rate those. Think, pair, share. Ahhh...Regrets.  I have done all that before but I feel like we had more time then. Excuses. Excuses. I just feel like the whole lesson could have gone so much better. 

This week we have Newbery book groups beginning. We have Geisel starting (or at least the planning) and even my wrap up for kindergarten boot camp. Exhale. Exhale. It's all ok. Give yourself permission, Stacey, to just let it go. 

In the meantime, I think I will find my own Beekle to listen to my regrets, hold my hand and remind me to expect the unimaginary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment