Wednesday, April 25, 2018

My Own Golden Medal #slm18

I was in the Newbery 2018 Orphan Island camp. Yes, I was left feeling a bit frustrated at the close of book, but that only made the entire experience better.  I wanted to talk to everyone and anyone who had read it so we could commiserate together.  Weeks and months later, we were all still talking, discussing, wondering, debating.  So you can imagine how excited we were when Laurel Snyder agreed to Skype with us before the Newbery announcement.  Then the snow fell and we had to reschedule for "after."

One thing I love about kids is that they are honest and innocent.  They are still learning how to navigate the world of words and what's the right thing to say or ask.  So when they asked Laurel about the Newbery award, I cringed a bit.  Oooh.  Maybe it's too soon, too sensitive.  But Laurel had the right answer that has stuck with me still.  Sure, it is great to win the award, and we all know it is.  But the real win for Laurel was sitting in front of kids like mine, super excited and stoked about her book. My kids (and I) loved her book and were not afraid to express it. That was what was rewarding and fulfilling, not only for Laurel, but me, too.

This came to mind yesterday when I was showered with love in front of the whole school in honor of School Library Month.  No award or contest could ever compare. Second graders shared a "Top Ten Reasons Why We Love Mrs. Rattner". A beautiful bouquet of flowers with books was handed to me.  A couple of fourth graders read their "Choose Kind" essay that they wrote about me. Every student, teacher and staff member signed a copy of The Giving Tree for me. They sang to me.  There was cake. Unbelievable, really.  For me? I can't thank all who were involved enough 🤗




Later a teacher said she was surprised I didn't ball my eyes out at the assembly.  I told her I was just in pure shock.  I'm just doing my job and I love it.  (True confession--I'm crying now as I reflect.) I love my kids. I love their smiling faces. I love all my faculty and staff. I mean, how lucky am I to have the teachers I have?  I ask (tell?) them to have every student sign a record (yes, a 45 RPM). They do. "I'm thinking about having all the students out on the sidewalk to greet Matt Cordell when he arrives," I begin. "Oh, and by the way, instead of a red carpet, let's go out the day before and color the sidewalk gold."  They don't even flinch. (Please don't tell this to Matt!)



Anyone who knows me, knows I'm super competitive.  Why do you think I go over-the-top extra with my author visits (and everything else)? Would I like to "move and shake" some day? Of course.  Be on the cover of SLJ? Who wouldn't?  But seriously, that's all bonus.  For now,  yesterday reminded me that I get my own golden medal every morning I walk into my building, take a leap or two, (or three), put the right book in the right kid's hand, turn the research lightbulb on, foster creativity and inquiry, and so much more.  That's the best award I can ever receive.



Right after morning program, a fifth grader came up to me and said, "Every single thing they said in that assembly is true.  I think you're wonderful, Ms. Rattner." Put that on my mantle.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment