Tuesday, April 10, 2018

#TXLA18

My "In It to Win It" co-presenters and just fabulous people, librarian Kirsten Murphy and illustrator/author Emma Virjan


I apologize in advance if this post is too lengthy.  You already know how I feel about Texas so it only makes sense that I write a Texas sized blog post about my 2018 TLA conference experience.  There. Said it. Done.  Moving on...

Last year my colleague, friend and mentor, Dr. Jen Cannell and I, had an amazing time in San Antonio at #txla17.  We were looking to repeat the experience once again. Those Texas librarians, now friends, did not disappoint.

Snow was falling during my commute to the airport. That's how I knew it was time to get out of North North Texas and head to just plain ole "North Texas."  Thankfully our trip was uneventful and flights all on time.  Can't say the same for our trip home, but that's another story.  In fact, our trip there was made even better since we met poet/author Laura Shovan at BWI which was the start (continuation?) of a great friendship.  It's confusing because Laura and I never met IRL but after two Skypes and many emails later it almost feels like we had.

We shared our first meal in Dallas with Victoria Coe, Emma Virjan and Laura Shovan.  Ok.  Time to go home.  Seriously.  Between the laughs, coincidences and storytelling, a good time was had by all.

Tech Camp Tuesday

Liv of TheLivBits was our keynote speaker and Kristina Holzweiss was the closer. The workshops I attended were inspiring and engaging.  I am ready to do the Global Read Aloud 2019, BreakoutEdu on a budget and more! You did an awesome job, Becky Calzada and team! I was proud to be a part of the pre-conference.

And how did I do? Well, it's not like I haven't presented before but whose crazy idea was it to rely solely on technology in order to have a successful workshop? Yeah, me.  I was counting on Skype to work FOUR times within a 55 minute session.  I felt like my heart was going to actually explode from all that nervous beating.  BUT...THE TECHNOLOGY WORKED! If you happened to be at TLA, my slides are up or just email me for more information.  A BIG Texas thank you to my virtual panel: Towboat pilot Stephanie, Poet/Author Emma Otheguy, CEO and Co-founder of Codespark Grant Hosford and Washington Post journalist, Jacob Bogage.

Thanks Kristina for inviting us to the Scholastic dinner where not only did we enjoy a delicious meal and conversation but we got to make glow bugs and talk about all the different ways we could incorporate them at school, not just in a Makerspace but in our science curriculum, too.

Conference Day 1


Then the nerves started up again Wednesday morning.  However, this time I had two partners in crime so my thumping heart was more manageable.  And we rocked it.  Presenter extraordinaire, Kirsten Murphy and illustrator/author (did you check out our t-shirts which we wore confidently with WHITE pants!?), Emma Virjan were amazing to work with.  IN IT TO WIN IT people!  That's what it's all about!  And, if used the right way, social media really can help you move mountains.










Today is the book birthday of Juana Martinez-Neal's book Alma and How She Got Her Name.  I was sprinkled with luck-dust again when I received the invite to a lovely luncheon with Juana, her publishing people and a few librarians.  We will be celebrating ALMA on Wednesday with a party, Skype and pink frosted cookies.  Although we didn't have pink cookies at lunch, I have to say that I was not disappointed when I copied Andie's meal of choice.


(Ok...so I haven't even been in Dallas for 24 hours and I've written more than you ever want to read.  If you want to leave now, I'll never know.  Austin or Bust 2019.)

Strolling down the Exhibit Hall I chatted with Macmillian editor, Grace Kendall, who I've been a fan of since Gertie's Leap to Greatness, finally leaped with my buddy at Penguin, Trevor Ingerson (everyone LOVES Trevor!) and snagged some books.  I promised myself I wasn't going to go crazy with the books.  Yeah, I broke that promise pretty early into conference.


The Penguin Random House cocktail hour was a blast.  I was on a mission to attack Hilo's Judd Winick, catch up with my idol and sharer of the best birthday ever, Jenni Holm, update Candace Fleming on her number one fan, the boy with the pink hair and others.  My friend, Jayce and I met many new friends, including the debut YA author, Arvin Ahmadi.  I haven't even read his book yet but can already tell that he is going to go far.

In between we had a great dinner with some of my most favorite Texans with our lovely server, Robert, while facing the big EYE. It was chilly but we still ate outside.  I hear it was grey and snowy back home at that exact time.

After a dark (not stormy), quiet (scary?) walk over to Reunion Tower, we got to see Jewell Parker Rhodes at the Little Brown dessert event.  I just wanted to hug her (and I did). Like the rest of us, Jewell still remembers our special day together last June and her visit to Castleton. We will forever love Jewell.

I also got to meet IRL library folks who I follow on Twitter and Facebook.  The theme of the week was definitely IN IT TO WIN IT and I felt like a winner all conference long.

Thursday

Do you use the Rosen databases?  If you don't, I highly recommend the PK Science Suite.  It seems unrelated but Miriam of Rosen, and I met for breakfast on Thursday.  Seriously, this is not a sales pitch, just a "trust me" this is a good databases and a perfect next step for all your PebbleGo fans. We love it!

I swooned over Jenni and Judd one more time during their session.  In the exhibit hall it was all MORE. MORE book creators, MORE friends, MORE items for my carryon and of course, MORE leaps. It was an afternoon well spent.

The conference hashtag helps when you just can't get to every workshop.  There were a lot of posts about Typorama so I had to try it out! What a great app to make cool posters!

But wait there's more:  Bluebonnet luncheon, Junot Diaz, chatting with all the wonderful Texas librarians in the author signing lines (Keith Barrow, Barbara Moon...), dinner with John Hendrix, reuniting with editors and, and, and...

...and then there was Friday...


I attended three workshops on Friday, beginning at 8:30! What was I thinking?!  A panel on using picture books to teach empathy, a middle grade author panel and "Fairytales with a Modern Twist."  That was all before the closing luncheon with Kwame.  No wonder I slept well (?) on a bench at BWI when we missed our connection Friday night.


Oh, TLA, thank you AGAIN for a wonderful week!

1-2-3 LEAP!


I snuck in a tiny bit of time with my cousin!




The incomparable Trevor Ingerson and Arvin Ahmadi and Jenni Holm


Chris Barton and Adam Gidwitz

My new friend, Keith with Adam
BTW, the first book in Adam's new series comes out today! It's great!



Isn't Becky so cute?!

Nancy Jo!


Mr. Pat, TLA President Dr. Jeng and Pat
They are quietly leaping!

My favorite TLA travel companion, Jen and Becky.
THIS is going on my car!



I can't say it enough--Thank you again TLA and the Texas librarians for continuing to welcome us into your organization, your conference and making us feel like we really are from NoNo Texas! xo Austin or Bust! #txla19





1 comment:

  1. I love your post! I really enjoyed the conference, too, as an author. I saw Grace as well--as charming as ever and a wonderful editor! I wish I met you there--I was signing my books on Thursday :) So maybe next year . . . Meanwhile, I'd love to visit your school and present to the students. Please keep me in mind if you're booking author visits in the future! All the best ~Rosie

    ReplyDelete