Tuesday, March 24, 2020

COOKIES

I think of Mrs. Silva as the quintessential Girl Scout leader.  Not sure why.  With that in mind, this post is dedicated to her AND all the leaders AND cookie moms AND Brownies AND Girl Scouts AND really anyone who loves to bake.

BTW: I think I ordered seven boxes this year.  Fingers crossed I will still be able to plow through my box of Samoas in record time.  If not, this post could really be helpful.

COOKIES


My family has started to watch episodes on the Bon Appetit YouTube channel.  It was recommended in the New York Times as something families can enjoy together and we are.  Last night we watched this one on how to replicate EXACTLY (not sure I have the patience for that) Samoas, Thin Mints and Tagalongs.

By the way, I love the Brownie sash she designs.  Maybe you have some puffy paint around and can make your own.

Side Note: I went to the Girl Scouts USA and they have a list here of 25 conversation starters.  Whether you have a Girl Scout or not, these could be helpful at dinner (or anytime).  I will try them out tonight with my own family. I personally like the "What's Your Theme Song?" question and then to make a family play list and have a dance party.  What is YOUR theme song? Of course, an obvious one for me is Van Halen's "Jump." But it could be this one I found on GoNoodle.  It will sure to get your heart racing for a good three minutes.


Juliette Gordon Low

March is Women's History Month, so why not celebrate the woman who started the Girl Scouts, Juliette Gordon Low?  Maybe take a virtual trip to her birthplace through her website here or read a brief biography on her here OR go to PebbleGo and check out her biography there OR do all three!

My author friend, Shana Corey wrote a great book about Juliette Gordon Low, Here Come the Girl Scouts! illustrated by Hadley Hooper. Here is a list of activities you can do from Shana's website. Scroll down to the middle of the page until you get to this book.

Here is Shana sharing a little bit about her book:



And here is a read aloud of the book:


More COOKIES

Since we can only treat ourselves to Girl Scout cookies in the Spring (although I do buy extra to keep in my freezer for a summer delight), chocolate chip cookies are a year round favorite.  I love Gilbert Ford's book, How the Cookie Crumbled: The True (and not so true) Stories of the Invention of the Chocolate Chip Cookie about Ruth Wakefield and her Tollhouse cookie recipe.  Here's a fun video of Gilbert Ford comparing cookie making to research.


Mrs. Kosinski's class and I read that book and then actually baked the cookies earlier this year.




Personally, my family prefers the One Girl Cookies recipe. It's from a bakery in Brooklyn.  Maybe you can order their cookbook an Indie bookstore or message me and I will share it lovingly. Then when this all is over, and you take a trip to NYC, put "stop at One Girl Cookies" on your list.

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie

Who doesn't love Laura Numeroff's circular stories?  This one is a classic.




Here are some links for activities to pair with that book (Thank you TeachingBooks.net):


  • A counting activity I found on Kidlit TV that you can do at home with your youngest learners.  
  • Craft and Coloring ideas from DLTK
  • Math activities from Reading Rainbow
  • Discussion guide from Center for Philosophy for Children


So...if you weren't craving cookies and milk before reading this post, I imagine you are right now.


AND...before I go, I must leave you with one of my favorite COOKIE MONSTER LIBRARY videos.  It always makes kids (and adults) laugh. And we could use that now more than ever.



May your pantry be well stocked with flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and of course, chocolate chips!  Happy Baking! xo





1 comment:

  1. My life is baking so you know I have plenty of all of these ingredients. Just made homemade cinnamon rolls yesterday!

    ReplyDelete