Friday, March 20, 2020

Give My Regards to BROADWAY



Jenna Gavigan and I in Manhattan last Spring.
Our annual Read Over Sleep Over (ROSO) was planned for tonight.  Author and actor, Jenna Gavigan, was slated to join us for our Lulu the Broadway Mouse themed evening. I couldn't have been giddier.  I love the theatre. I love Jenna and I love giggly 2nd and 3rd graders skidding down the school hallways in their footed PJs.  But alas, it was cancelled.

I reached out to Jenna and am thrilled that she agreed to read the first chapter of her book during the actual ROSO time via Google Meet. See you at 7. PJs required đŸ˜‰




While searching for what to include in this post, I found a new author to love, Katrina Moore.  Here she talks about the writing prompt, "What Could Go Wrong?" which could totally be used for an improv activity.  Try to act this out with someone.  And don't forget to include the important line always used in improv, "Yes, and..."  See how long you can keep the improv going.

My family and I are trying to change our personas at dinner these days.  Since we're all home together, there isn't much to report in on.  So, I've asked them to become a new character. Although it hasn't been too successful, we have certainly gotten our full of laughs as I attempt to be the Queen of England.




Full disclosure: I am a huge Modern Family fan.  We even made sure to see Jesse Tyler Ferguson on Broadway a few summers ago.



I don't know if Ty Burrell has ever been on Broadway but he is an actor and I could listen to him read aloud for hours.  Storyline Online has a great activity guide to go with Mice Twice, which includes a recipe, charades (an acting game!) and even yoga ideas. After you read the book, be sure and talk about the important lessons and how they are especially relevant right now.




I would be remiss if I didn't mention Tim Federle's Nate series in a post about Broadway.  These are perfect for your middle grade theatre buff.  Download the audiobooks (https://soraapp.com/home) to accompany you during chores or walks.  Tim reads them and they are great.  Fun fact: Tim and Jenna were in Gypsy together with Bernadette Peters and they are still good friends.

Here's Tim reading the first chapter of his book.  Check out this YouTube video of Tim interviewing the young stars of Newsies.  It's a few years old but worth the watch.  One of the kids sings (amazing!) and they share a game they played backstage that we can do at home.




If you are still looking for more book ideas, try Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt.  I found the audiobook on Sora.  This musical wasn't on Broadway long but the book is well loved. 

AND one more thing: I just learned that Camp Broadway is offering FREE digital learning classes starting next week. LINK HERE.

And Finally...

Can't sleep? Same. And neither can this house.

Maybe I'm stretching this read aloud a little for the theme, but I love this book and am so glad that the illustrator, Shawn Harris, posted this on his Instagram.  There is a hint of acting in it, so I say it's ok. Adults: Be on the look out for the humor and pop culture references in the text and illustrations.


No comments:

Post a Comment