Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Got POPCORN?

I still can't believe that the theme of yesterday's post was pasta and I featured one of our favorite books, Tomie dePaola's Strega Nona. Then, last night we learned the sad news that Tomie dePaola passed away. It's weird.

Tuesday dinner is almost always "Taco Tuesday" but tonight I'm going to rally for "Tomie Tuesday" with pasta and popcorn.  I've been craving spaghetti anyway since Sunday...

Did you know that I am known far and wide for my popcorn?  My current and former students all call it "Rattner Popcorn."  I bring it in to celebrate any occasion.  If it's for more than one class, you could often catch me carrying many containers stuffed in one of those big, blue Ikea bags.


At last year's Bluebonnet Kickoff Party



Tomie wrote a book about popcorn in the 1970s.  Although it uses the term "Indian" which I don't love, it is still a good book.  He also mentions the Iroquois and Algonquins, which were our local Native American tribes.  I found this read aloud online of the original version and then was thrilled to find out that the book was updated in 2018.  Now I can weed the old one and happily replace with the new one:


It may be another mostly indoor day today so here are some popcorn related activities to do (Thank you Library Sparks):

  • Get your family members to all estimate the number of kernels in a bag or container and then count them to see who came closest.
  • Pop some popcorn and guess how many kernels will not get popped and see who came closest
  • Research popcorn on any one of our databases.  Explore where it was first eaten and who ate it. What other new things did you learn? Share them with me!
  • Write a poem about popcorn. Use all your senses.  Definitely share it with me!
  • Use unpopped and popped corn to make a picture.  Maybe add some uncooked pasta and make it a Tomie dePaola collage.
  • Look up why popcorn pops. Do an experiment (with an adult, of course!) using different kinds of oils, temperature, kernels and see which way is the best.  
  • Taste test which kind of popcorn you like best and make a graph.
  • Write an essay or make a video on why or why not popcorn is a healthy snack.
  • Dance to "Popcorn."  
Here is the Muppets version.  I love the idea of using the kitchen tools to make music but maybe, not go to the extreme like he does?




Everyone always asks me what my secret recipe is.  No secret.  Just canola oil, popcorn and salt in an old fashioned pot. Got an extra Ikea bag lying around?  When we go back to school, popcorn party for ALL.  That's a lot of bags.

RIP Tomie dePaola.  We will miss you but know that your work will live on forever in our libraries and homes.  Here's to pasta and popcorn to you today and always.

P.S.

ICYMI: Here's the Spirit Week Day 1 video of all the pets and stuffed animals.  Don't forget to send me your family choice photos for today.





No comments:

Post a Comment