Sunday, March 20, 2016

This is a MakerSpace Playground!


This xylophone was one of my daughter's faves.

Everyone is talking about MakerSpaces.  I'm just not there yet but definitely want to get in the game, too. I even put some beginning MakerSpace items in my library budget for next year.  I have a plan to be on the lookout for a bookcase at garage sales this summer and maybe an extra table or two to create a fabulous MakerSpace at CES.  My wheels are turning.  But for now, I'm only at the pregame show, and just I'm hoping to make it to the first quarter very soon.  (Can you tell it's March Madness time?  Go Terps!)  I'm inspired by School Library Journal's librarian of the year, Kristina Holzweiss and all that she knows and does in her library.

So, today when my family and I went to the Canstruction event at the NYS Museum, I couldn't help but think MakerSpace.  Using cans and other nonperishable food items, local companies create displays based on the the theme "Play."  Wow.  Just look at what these people have done!  Can we simulate it in the library? I'm thinking about it...

Not only are the displays impressive, when the exhibit is over on March 30, all the food will be donated to local food pantries.  That's a lot of food!  This is such a great cause.  And when you bring in cans yourself, you can drop them in buckets by your favorite to vote for it to win "best display." Check these pictures out--they are pretty amazing!

If you live anywhere near Albany, I would highly recommend spending a little time on the 4th floor of the NYS Museum.  Your jaw may drop at some of these and it will be time well spent.  Maybe you'll get inspired for the first quarter, too!

Ahhhh...the beach.  This sand "can castle" was constructed by a team from RPI.



You can't tell from the picture but the ferris wheel moves.


Play dough.




We really liked this minecraft one.



You can't really see from the picture but at the bottom left are tickets coming out.
So creative!
I liked the simplicity of this skiball game.  Those are boxes of spaghetti.


Luigi and Mario!  We loved this one.


This is a "World Plaground." Of course, I love the Eiffel Tower.

You can't find a more perfect toy than plain blocks.
Another one we loved that we didn't get a picture of was a whack-a-mole game.  That one had moving moles, like the ferris wheel one.  All the more reason for you to to stop in and check these out!

And if going to the website isn't enough, listen to this interview on our local public radio station, WAMC:

No comments:

Post a Comment