Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Are You Getting Enough?

  

Bagels and challah that Zack baked during quarantine.
He perfected his challah recipe so much so that I requested it for my birthday.  


Two truths and a lie:

I have a MA in Health Education.
I was an English major in college.
I almost became a professional waitress.

Truth:  I was a Psychology major, not English major.
Truth: If I didn't get into graduate school to become a health educator, I was going to go to Naples, FL to become a professional waitress.

So why bring this up?

When I was in graduate school for the Health Ed degree, I went to a conference and got a shirt that said, "Are You Getting Enough?"  I know. I know.  This is a family blog.  But seriously, it had a picture of a loaf of bread on it and was referring to just that. Bread.  I never quite got it myself.  Why do we need to make sure we are getting enough bread? Sure, I wish I got more bread but then I would have to walk two marathons a week and that's just not happening.

And what does this have to do with anything? Well, here we are five days into summer break and I haven't been sleeping well.  I keep thinking, "Did I do enough?" "What could I have done better?"  "Did I reach enough kids?"  "Did my kids get enough instruction from me?" 

Sigh. 

I'll say this.  I tried my best. Did my students get enough? I hope so. I think so?
It's like me and the bread.  They got enough but maybe I could have given them more? Did they want more? One thing is true, though, I can confidently say, I didn't just give them a slice of Wonder Bread.  They got Whole Grain, Brioche, Raisin Challah, Sourdough, Fry Bread, Everything Bagel, Tortilla, Peasant, Irish Soda Bread, Matzah, Naan...you name it.  And I pride myself on that.

If you weren't craving carbohydrates before, I'm sorry that you are now.  And just in case, you are having having trouble sleeping, I want to thank YOU for all you did.  Whoever you are and whatever you did, I know you did more than enough.  I just have to remind myself that I did, too.  Give permission to pat myself on the back every once in a while. Pat of butter, did I say? Hahaha.  Enough said!






No comments:

Post a Comment