Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Time for Nachos!



My stomach was growling. I was not prepared for the preview party like Halle was.  So talking about nachos just made me hungrier.  I'll make sure I'm ready for the book birthday (August 11).


Yes. Another book to add to your to-purchase pile in August. This time the nonfiction picture book about how our beloved snack, nachos, came to be.

Third grader, Lynx, made a connection immediately. "We have a tradition in our family where we make our own tortillas." Wow. I want to go to her house the next day they do that!

We were all surprised to find out that we didn't get nachos from a mistake. One third grader thought, "someone would have tortillas and on taco night forget the meat and lettuce, just have melted cheese and that's how nachos were invented." And yet, it was really because a guy nicknamed, Nacho, was asked to make a different snack at a time when no chef was around in the restaurant to come up with something to serve.

The text was easy to follow and engaging for all of us. The muted illustrations gave the feel of the time period. Everyone agreed they were realistic.  "I liked how the bricks looked like real bricks" said one third grader. I noticed the details--the fryers in the restaurant kitchen, the colorful tiles in the house.

Don't just take my word for it.  Look what the kids had to say.👇  I'll be adding it to my Sibert Smackdown for sure.



PS-The girl in the second from left top box won a bag of tortilla chips and a jar of salsa.  Of course, she's Halle, the one who made nachos in prep for the party! Go figure. Well, we know she'll put the chips to good use! I just hope she likes mild.


No comments:

Post a Comment