Thursday, June 4, 2020

#KidLit4BlackLives

I planned my whole evening around it.  Prepped for dinner in the afternoon. Ate much earlier than usual. We were ready to sit down by 7.



It is archived here: #KidLit4BlackLives.

I wanted to listen and not take notes but after awhile, I just couldn't help myself.

"Crawl toward judgement. Sprint to understanding."-Jason Reynolds
"Every little bit is a lot."-Jason Reynolds
"Joy is revolutionary."-Denene Milner

When he showed us his largest version of a drawing of "Black Lives Matter" Raul the Third reminded us that we need to "Shout it out."

Jacqueline Woodson was amazing as always. Derrick Barnes read this incredible poem that made me cry. Gene Luen Yang. Cornelius Minor. Paula Chase. Sarah Crossan. Karianne Holt spoke to me.  Linda Sue Park. Christopher Myers. Kwame Alexander. Renee Watson. Chanting with Elizabeth Acevedo.

"We are raising them not to be silent."-Sara Ahmed
 
I will be more conscious. I will not just say, but I will do. As Raul the Third told us "Read books. Watch films. Listen to music." I already stock my shelves with lots of black and brown writers and illustrators, but I can always do more and I will. I will keep talking with my daughter and son. My students and friends. My husband and mom. As we raise our children not to be silent, we are making noise ourselves. Shout. It. Out. I will be an antiracist. #BlackLivesMatter








1 comment: