Thursday, June 11, 2020

From the Desk of Zoe Washington

My son has been a baking fiend throughout quarantine.  We are overly stocked with all purpose ("AP" as we affectionately call it), bread flour, yeast and butter. When there is still a container full of flour and one unopened bag in the pantry, it goes on the grocery list. So it would behoove me not to have him bake my birthday cake next week.  "Do you want the seven layer rainbow cake?" he asked. Perhaps.  I consider the cleanup.  Although, I really can't complain. He has become quite responsible on that front. Then I finished From the Desk of Zoe Washington by Janae Marks and am now craving Zoe's Froot Loop Cupcakes. Hey! I call June, JunACEY so who says I can't have both?

I love 12 year old Zoe. She is strong willed and curious.  She's a future baker AND criminal justice lawyer. I honestly wonder what she will eventually become.

Zoe lives outside of Boston with her parents and next door to her best friend, Trevor.  She's been mad at Trevor for months but can she really not be on speaking terms with him all summer? Finally, she opens up as to why and he becomes her partner, not in crime, but in getting a crime undone, so to speak. 

On her birthday, Zoe opens up a letter from her biological father, Marcus, who has been in prison since before she was born.  This intrigues her and she writes him back. Turns out, Marcus has been writing every year on her birthday but her mom has always intercepted the mail before Zoe. With help from her grandmother, Zoe begins a relationship with Marcus unbeknownst to her parents. After Marcus tells her that he's innocent, Zoe puts on her investigative hat and there is no stopping her till the truth comes out.

I listened to this book and it's read by one of my favorite readers, Bahni Turpin. Sometimes you hear a voice and you can't get the other books they have narrated out of your mind.  Not with Bahni.  Even though I knew she read Angie Thomas (amazing!) and Nicola Yoon's books (and I just saw she is narrating Kimberly Brubaker Bradley's new one, Fighting Words), she was a unique Zoe. Download it now to be part of the June-is-#audiobookmonth party.

It is guaranteed that when you read the book, you will not only crave the cupcakes, but also JP Licks ice cream (I've been there!) and mac and cheese. Your ears will also want to listen to the Little Tomato playlist.  Thankfully, Janae Marks has it on her website. I'll save you the step and share it here (but do visit her site for all the extras in one place):



Now more than ever, all middle grade readers need to meet Zoe Washington. Personally, I'm always thinking about the fall and my fifth grade Newbery project.  From the Desk of Zoe Washington will definitely be at the top of my list. I'll be rooting for you, Zoe!

No comments:

Post a Comment