Friday, June 12, 2020

Dozens of Doughnuts



Ding-Dong!
There goes LouAnn's doorbell again.
Behind it stands friend after friend coming for a doughnut.
I mean, really, I'm sure the smell of her baking is wafting through the forest so who can blame them?

But like many of us, finally LouAnn can't take it any more and she ROARS. 
Humans call that "crashing." She has had ENOUGH. I can certainly say, I've had quite a few of those days myself here in quarantine.

Her friends get it and return overwhelmingly apologetically. Hooray for them!

I shared this book with some students today and the only negative, if you call it that, comment was "it made me want a doughnut." We had fun trying to figure out who the next guest was by the tale flying through the window.  The kids were great at that! "It's an opossum!" one exclaimed as soon as I asked.

One fifth grader said he thought the rhyming was "very creative.  Rhyming isn't as easy as you think," he told me. "I'm impressed with how perfect the rhyming is because I can't really do it."  

We loved the illustrations. I especially liked the fruity pebbles doughnut on the end papers. Speaking of end papers, the front ones have fresh doughnuts and the back ones have, well, mostly crumbs.

Working on fractions and division? This book could help! Dozens divided by friends.

And of course, the message. The kids got it.  Be kind.  Better yet. Be kind with doughnuts.

I asked, "Should I buy this book for the library?" And the kids said 👇

My only request-maybe it's already taken care of-is LouAnn's doughnut recipe at the back of the book. I'm eager to bake and share (or at least have my son do the baking!).


Book birthday is July 21.  That gives us plenty of time to perfect our doughnut baking. I'm looking forward to it! 🍩💙

PS: I love when kids come to a party prepared! 👇


Ella ended up winning a doughnut so it will be delivered on Monday.  I guess two doughnuts in one day is too much?  Who knows? Maybe she had a dozen to plow through.



No comments:

Post a Comment