Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The Teacher's March!

My daughter asked me if I'd like to join her at a protest last week.
I am a teacher who marches.

Thanks to Edelweiss I downloaded the digital F&G of this relevant book that comes out in September. I was glad to be able to share a review copy with my students right now when they are witnessing people changing history and being a part of it themselves. 

In 1965 teachers organized themselves to march for voting and equal rights.  The day of the March, they left their homes and families proactively with sandwiches and toothbrushes. They were prepared to spend the night in jail. Fortunately, they didn't have to. Their voices were heard. "Reverend Reese and his triumphant idea had gained a glorious victory."

My students were attentive during the read aloud. "I liked the book because it tells about history," one said.  "I really liked the drawings," said another.  "They were super detailed."  So true.  The toothbrushes. The perspective of the shoes lined up. The stained glass in the church. Albert Einstein on the wall.

"It made me feel a little mad because the black people couldn't vote and then I felt happy because they could," shared a third grader.  "The marchers were so brave. They marched because everyone should be equal."

One boy shared that he attended our local rally. He told me that while he was at the rally he was "taking it all in" and that he is "mad because there still aren't equal rights."  

We liked the back matter: author's note, illustrator's note, a timeline, websites and videos to learn more.  A definite Sibert Smackdown contender for next year. And don't take just my word for it. The young people have spoken: FIVE out of FIVE STARS.




I hope we have a lot of change in our country by the time this book is released in September.  Until then, we have some work to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment