Wednesday, April 15, 2020

A Pair of Book Birthdays

I have never been a fan of Tuesdays.  Put that in my bio.
Monday has the excuse of still being groggy from the weekend.
By Wednesdsay we are over the hump.
You blink and Thursday's over.
Friday is, well, Friday.

But there's nothing great about Tuesdays.  Except, well, most books come out into the world on Tuesdays. And I love that.

Last week we celebrated one fabulous, SEVEN starred reviewed book by one of my favorites, Rebecca Stead.

This week, I threw two parties. And the silent third one (see yesterday's post).

Outside In


This four starred review book is NOW. TODAY. RELEVANT.  You know how it can take years in the womb before a book enters the world, and yet this book is perfect for all of us, inside, wanting to go outside freely today. The book begins:

"Once we were part of Outside and Outside was part of us. There was nothing between us.  Now sometimes even when we're outside...we're inside."

Deborah Underwood's poetic text paired with the absolutely beautiful watercolored paintings of Cindy Derby make for a book to be read and shared over and over again. You will want to listen to the text and soak in the illustrations.  There are hidden shadows and pictures within each page. I had about 35 kids about my google meet party.  "Wait, Ms. Rattner. Can you go back a page? I saw a bird in the tree."  "Do you see the cat?"  The vibrant colors pop out and give me hope about watching the sun set, rivers flowing, hikes in the woods, alongside all of my family and friends again soon.

Cindy Derby recorded herself painting. Super cool.  Here's just one example:



We had a great party yesterday with about 35 kids on Google Meet!  We read the book, sang happy birthday and I gave away not one, but two, copies of the book.  I thought one boy didn't want it because as soon as we picked his name he left the meet.  Turns out he hit the hangup button instead of "unmute." Ahhh...the joys of the virtual classroom/library. He was glad to win and so was my other friend! The books should be on their way!

Happy Book Birthday, Outside In!



When Stars Are Scattered


I have been a fan of Victoria Jamieson for a while.  Months before she won the Newbery Honor for Roller Girl, Mrs. Kelliher and I dressed up as Astrid on Halloween.  I even used black sharpie on my 1980s roller skates to make them look authentic.  I wore them to school! Now that was fun!

Since then Jamieson has published a few other books, including All's Faire in Middle School. It will surely make you want to attend your local Renaissance Fair when this is all over.

Her latest, with Omar Mohamed, was born yesterday. I read the galley in early January.  This book is about hope, family, perseverance.  Omar and his brother, Hassan, live in a refugee camp in Kenya and hope to get home some day. I can't tell in my notes if this is a direct quote or not but it is so true for today, "The challenge of life is to make the most of what you've been given."  This book is so important on so many levels. I wish I was able to give away a copy to every kid who came to the book birthday party.  Nevertheless, I was only planning on giving away one, but ended pulling out two names from the hate.  Bonus--one boy has three siblings and the other one is a twin so that equals six readers!

"Every human is a gift. Love is a gift." 

"I've learned that the biggest surprises in life can come when you least expect them."

Over and over, Omar and Hassan never give up.  If they don't, how can we?

"How long can you wait before you lose all hope?"

Just think of the dozens of lessons we can learn from this book...


Happy Book Birthday, When Stars Are Scattered!



And...check out this family of cakes just for the occasion. YUM.



Since both of these books are just newborns, lesson guides or activities aren't created yet.  Maybe the books will inspire you to write a poem, story or letter, paint, dance, explore outside or something else.

Keep being safe.  This will be over soon and we'll be able to roller skate outside together again. xo

Bonus Bout


Check out our Halloween costumes from 2015.  Fond memories!







No comments:

Post a Comment