Wednesday, April 8, 2020

On the 8th Day of National Poetry Month

On the 8th Day of National Poetry Month My True Love Gave to Me

Woke

The book I am loving right now, at this exact moment, on the 8th day of National Poetry Month is  Woke: A Young Poet’s Guide to Justice. Written by Mahogany L. Browne with Elizabeth Acevedo and Olivia Gatwood; illustrated by Theodore Taylor III. I was asked to recommend a book for the NYSUT (our state Teacher's Union) magazine and I chose this one. I love every poem in it and you will, too.  You, a parent, a teacher, a grandparent, and students from K to college will find words, phrases, whole poems that will speak to you, spark discussions, forge conversations and more.  Anyone who reads this book will be moved to write to the publisher requesting to enlarge, print out and post every poem in the book. It doesn't hurt that the illustrations are moving, too.

Macmillan sort of knew that was coming when they made this poster downloadable but they have to know that one is not enough. Let's all let them know and when you do, be sure to tag them with #mackidspoetry. Tell them I sent you!



The Crossover + Brown Girl Dreaming=Reading Rainbows

It was so great to listen to Kwame Alexander read The Crossover  last week.  At 10:30 every day this week, Jackie Woodson is treating us to her, Brown Girl Dreaming. Ahhh....I loved (still love) both those books so much.  Don't tell Kwame, but I was pretty confident that Brown Girl Dreaming was going to win the Newbery award that year.  I can still hear the 5th grade ELA teacher at the time, Mr. Reischer saying, "Are you sure, Ms. Rattner?" 

Here's a little taste of Jackie's reading.  Maybe you can tune in on Facebook live and get this treat for the next three days.



I love how Jackie concludes each session with: 

Be kind.
Stay safe.
Don't be a racist.
Love each other up.


Not a book in verse, but I believe Jason Reynolds will be reading Look Both Ways next week live. (This will be confirmed on Friday.) Something to look forward to for sure. Until then, Jackie announced today that at 6pm on Twitter tonight Levar Burton, of "Reading Rainbow" will be reading an excerpt from Look Both Ways.  Did you know he was reading aloud every M/W/F? Not verse books but LeVar reads so soothingly and poetically, that it almost could be:



When Jason was on with Kwame last week he said something that has stuck with me, "Have a little extra. Do a little extra." I hope everyone who is able can do a little extra. I'm trying...


When You Know What I Know



I am excited to read debut author, Sonja K. Solter's novel in verse, When You Know What I Know.  From the blurb, "A sensitive, harrowing, and ultimately hopeful novel in verse about one girl's journey in the aftermath of sexual abuse." It sounds like it is another important book to be paired with Kate Messner's Chirp and Kimberly Brubaker Bradley's painful but necessary book, Fighting Words. 


Closer to Nowhere

My friend, Alicia, loves Ellen Hopkins.  To be honest, I haven't read any of her books.  But that will change now. I just received her new verse novel (pubs in October) and can't wait to read it and join the Ellen Hopkins fan club.





BenBee and the Teacher Griefer

    

I am multitasking today and have two computers going--one for school work; one for the #MiddleGradeMagic event.  In one of the early sessions, K.A. Holt was a panelist talking about her new (pubs in September, we hope!) middle grade novel in verse, BenBee and the Teacher Griefer. I love her stuff. Plus, bonus--She's from Texas! 

Fun fact: The first time I test Skyped with Kwame back in December 2014, he recommended her book, Rhyme Schemer, to me. Next day it came in the mail.  Strange coincidence?

Kari Anne described the book as a funny book that "celebrates the divergent thinkers."  She said she and her editor keep thinking about the kids in the book and asked the other day, "What is [the character] Jordan doing in quarantine?" Not sure I'm going to get this quote right, but that she hopes readers will find ourselves in these kids. I can't wait to read it!

May your true love be good to you today and every day and you always find time for some poetry. 💗













No comments:

Post a Comment