Friday, April 10, 2020

Family is Family

As we continue to be quarantined with our immediate families, I'm missing my extended family.  Last night we had a Zoom seder with relatives from South Carolina, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and of course, New York. It was so great to see everyone. It goes without saying there were some muting issues and I felt like I was in a Seinfeld episode while we sang "Dayenu" in unison but nevertheless, my heart felt good. It was great to see everyone. My 95 year old grandmother was there through my FaceTime and her brother and his wife (married 71 years!) called in.  Even my cousin, a doctor in Manhattan, had the time off to be with us.  At 7:00 we were still going and she brought her device to the window so we could hear the New Yorkers out on their balconies cheering for the health care workers.* How could this not be the best seder ever?

That said, today's post is about FAMILY.

Only Nine Chairs: A Tall Tale for Passover


The one good thing about the Zoom seder is that we had a chair for everyone. This book, by Deborah Uchill Miller and illustrated by Karen Ostrove (published by Kar-Ben Copies, Inc.), is one of my favorites for Passover.  It's hardly fancy or old but it's fun and has the lovely message of inclusion, how to problem solve, and, that no matter what, there is a place for everyone  During any other time, we most likely  need to limit our guest list, but not last night. Way more than nine were sitting and I loved it so much.



All the World


One of my favorite books, which also happens to be a poem (Happy 10th day of National Poetry Month!), is All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon and Marla Frazee. I love the beach and especially Long Beach Island, New Jersey. My extended family has been going there since my grandmother was a little girl.  In fact, because of that, I wore a ratty, oversized reunion t-shirt from 2001 to our seder last night. We still go and it is a very special place for all of us.

Back to All the World. I have always loved it but it means something entirely different today. I know we are all eager to see the world outside of our zip codes. We must keep reminding ourselves by staying inside, all the world will be ours again soon.

If you can get a hold of the book (and even if you can't), here are some ideas of things you can do, inspired by Weston Woods:
  • Choose 3-4 different places in the world to study and compare. What things are the same all over the world? 
  • Discuss how families are the same around the world. This is so relevant today because all over the globe people are staying inside and coping with the effects of the virus.
  • Create a collage of families from different parts of the world. On the collage, write some of the ways families are the same. 
  • Make a collage or write a poem about what you look forward to when we can be out in the world again.

Going Down Home with Daddy

This gorgeous book (it won Caldecott Honor this year!) by Kelly Starling Lyons and illustrated by Daniel Minter is about a family renuion.  "Soon, I will see my grandma, granny and hang out with my cousins."  That's what it is all about, right?  #Cousins

Fry Bread

We all have foods we love to enjoy with our families at holidays or just ice cream at the beach.  A couple of summers ago our favorite ice cream shop closed.  We used to walk to 6th Street every night and get our favorite flavors.  I waited all year for my Vanilla Peanut Butter Swirl.  I'm still adjusting without Aunt Ollie's.  

I love Juana Martinez-Neal and I love her illustrations in the Sibert winning, Fry Bread written by Kevin Noble Maillard. I made fry bread last fall for all of my 3rd graders.  It was quite yummy. Here are some questions to ask your family tonight:

  • What foods or traditions are important in your family?
  • What foods do you eat that has a special sound, shape or taste?  (Matzah is usually square, unless you get the Shmura kind that is round.  And it is VERY crunchy sounding!)
  • I know Jews have been eating certain Passover foods for centuries. What food or dishes have been passed down through the generations in your family?

Todd Parr

Woah! I just discoverd Todd Parr's website. It's FILLED with stuff to keep you occupied for hours.  I went there initially because I love his The Family Book and found a treasure chest of activities for you. He actually has a new book coming out this Tuesday, The Birthday Book. Here he is on Instagram reading from it a bit and sharing that even if you have a birthday now and may not be able to celebrate it with all your family and friends, maybe you can celebrate it again in July?



I love when authors and illustrators post playlists for their books.  Here's one for The Birthday Book:

 The Birthday Book playlist

Vanderbeekers

If you are looking for a great chapter book series about a big family, look no more.



There are three books already in the series by Karina Yan Glaser and Book 4 is slated to be released in September! Start reading and you will be busy for awhile! Here is a link to Karina's resource page from her website, including songs (which you know I love!). 

The Relatives Came

I've been wracking my matzah filled stomach (and brain) about another book about family and it took all day to come to me. I could picture it on the shelf but I just couldn't think of the title. I finally figured it out! It's The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant and Stephen Gammell. Again, it's another one of those books where family comes from far and wide to be together. 💗

Last but not least...

My family and I had to say goodbye to one of our favorite TV families this week during the "Modern Family" finale. I was disappointed in the actual finale but we all enjoyed the documentary on the mockumentary, the hour before. It was the only show where all four of us could sit down as a family and watch, laugh and even cry (well, me, at least).  I always looked forward to Wednesday nights.  Any suggestions for another sitcom for a 13, 17 and two 50 somethings?

Enjoy your families today and always. xo

*Please check out Jarrett Lerner's site for more pages like this to thank the people keeping us safe today and every day. If you want to color one and don't know who to send it to, I'd be happy to pass it to my cousin, Elena.







No comments:

Post a Comment