Monday, April 6, 2020

I {HEART} Rebecca Stead



I'm excited to share that 2020 is the year of another Rebecca Stead book. THAT is a reason to celebrate.

And tomorrow is her book birthday.  Late last night, last minute me decided to throw a virtual party Tuesday afternoon.  Sour gummy bears, 7Up cake and ice cream sandwiches will be served.

Fingers crossed at least one person shows up.  Otherwise, the free book giveaway will be mine and I'd prefer to share the book love. No, I don't have a copy of the book. Yes, I read it via NetGalley (a belated thank you, NetGalley) and yes, my new plan is that I will use my gas, entertainment, coffee (fill in the blank incidentals money I am not spending) to start giving away books at my parties.

This book I finished on a plane (seems so long ago) TO Spain (was that really just February break?). Not the first time I cried on a plane and I hope it won't be the last.

Regular readers of my blog will know that I love New York and Stead's books are always love letters to my native city.  We need that more than ever right now.

This is the story of Bea, her divorced parents, her Dad's new relationship and upcoming wedding to Jesse, Jesse's daughter in California, Sonia, and Bea's therapist, Miriam all wrapped up beautifully in only the way Rebecca Stead can put a bow on it.

Today, many of us are anxious. In normal circumstances, do we all give ourselves permission to worry?  Not always.  In the chapter, "Drop Everything and Worry" Miriam teaches Bea how to worry. A lesson many of us could use.

"Life is like a trip. A very long one. And what matters most is the people you travel with...With the right people, you carry your boat and it doesn't feel that heavy."
Stead has such a way with words.  She is a Newbery winner after all.  But these words. Right now. The journey we are taking, inside with our loved ones and Zooming, FaceTiming, Skyping, etc with the ones outside, my hope is that it's keeping your boat just little lighter.

"...Some songs were slow and some were fast, and every time one ended I closed my eyes and thought, one more. Please one more."
Me. Every time I read a new Rebecca Stead book. So for the sake of all of us, another one comes out in the world tomorrow.  Happy Book Birthday, The List of the Things that Will Not Change

Oh, and if you can find a box of ice cream sandwiches in the store, grab them, put them in the freezer and take them out at the end (with your box of Kleenex only arms distance away). You'll be glad you heeded my advice. The only thing you'll be sorry about is that the book is over.

In unison now, "Please one more."

Audio Sample

Here is a sample of the audio to whet your appetite:






And, just in case you are new to Rebecca Stead... 


  • Newbery winning book, When You Reach Me.  This was my daughter's favorite book for a very long time.  Here is an audio excerpt:



Book Recording | When You Reach Me on TeachingBooks

If you pick it up, here is an extensive reader's guide from the publisher.

  • The book I have two personal signed copies of, Liar and Spy.  Not sure why this book resonates with me so much but it does.  I have multiple library copies so it is my go-to book group book for grades 4-6.  Here's a reader's theatre script to play around with at home.

 
(Princeton Book Festival, September 2016)
  • For older middle grade the thought provoking, Goodbye Stranger.  Here's an audio excerpt:

Book Recording | Goodbye Stranger on TeachingBooks

  • And the co-written book with the amazing, Wendy Mass, Bob.  



Princeton Book Festival, September 2018


One last time: Happy Book Birthday to The List of Things that Will Not Change.  One thing that will never change with me? My love for Rebecca Stead's writing. Ahhhhh....xo💗

No comments:

Post a Comment