Monday, April 20, 2020

Marathon Monday

I did it. I ran five miles yesterday.  It felt good. My heart rate was up and I was warm enough to unload two layers to my tank top.  That felt really good. Winter is behind us. Although, I won't mention that snow fell on Saturday.

This weekend I was supposed to run 13.2 miles in the Helderberg Half.
Today was the Boston Marathon.
Both canceled. But that doesn't mean running isn't canceled.
Beside the obvious of running 26.2 miles, what else can we we do to honor the Marathon's tradition since 1897?

Art


This may be a bit of a stretch but why not color in Rafael Lopez's muralist.  He looks like he could be running through the town while he paints.


Make sure to check out Rafael's Instagram (@rafael_161_ or his blog for daily art ideas).

STEAM


LINK to vault

Ok...So this could be even a bit more of a stretch but while I was looking for ways to tie the marathon into lesson plans, I came across this *amazing* resource from the annual Cambridge Science Festival. I mean, the marathon is in Boston and Cambridge is practially Boston, so not too much off the path.

How about you engage yourselves in a "marathon" of STEAM activities today or the whole week or 26.2 days?!  Check it out! Tons of book ideas, podcasts, shows, virtual trips and all for kids!  Maybe try 26 things? They call it a vault. Be careful when you enter because it is overflowing!


History



Why not do a little research on the Boston Marathon?  Here's a short story about it from NPR today.

Go to one of the databases and read up on marathons, Boston, the Olympics...


Now my friend, Tom Bober, will be proud of me on this one.  I just checked out the Library of Congress and found a photo from the 65th Boston Marathon in 1952.  Examine the photo.  What do you notice? 

Physical Activity


Of course, running today makes sense.  Pick a distance (26.2 yards?) and run. What's your time? Compete against yourself or family members.  What other physical activities can you do? Walk for 26.2 minutes?  What about jumping 26.2 inches? Or see how far you can jump and divide it by 26.2? Jump up and down or off a step 26 times.  Calculate how long that takes. Try and beat your time. Do 26 jumping jacks.   Be creative! See what you come up with! Make sure you are careful and take breaks if you need to.

Finally (and what really inspired this whole post)



Be sure and read Elisha Cooper's piece in today's New York Times. I realize the print version isn't as exciting and we all can't send our husbands out to try and find a copy for us, (although sadly mission was not accomplished YET), but the digital copy will work, too.  I just wanted to get one that I could hang up in my new "office." He's back out to keep looking. I am not too hopeful so please send if you have one and I'll run an extra 26.2 something in your honor. Thanks!

Now off to walk, not run, about 26.2 x 458 steps.
Be safe out there.









No comments:

Post a Comment