Thursday, April 16, 2020

Running on Empty

This Saturday I was supposed to run my first half marathon in many years.  Right before we quarantined I ran seven miles. Then I stopped. Instead I have chosen to walk at least 10,000 steps a day. My mental, emotional and physical being needs it.

Now I am getting emails about how to run in this "virtual" race or that one.  Do I want the swag? Do I need the push? Maybe. No matter what, I think I will lace up those running shoes this weekend. It helps that I already have a good book queued up.

Jason Reynolds

PE Teacher and his book group Dec 2017
Since we're talking running and I am a librarian, I can't go without mentioning the Track Series by Jason Reynolds.  I know I have talked about them before. But did I ever say how good the audio is? I listened to them WHILE I was running and it was the perfect match.

Ahhh...Jason Reynolds...

Everyday at 10:30 on some social media platform (Instagram Live this week) we have the opportunity to listen to some incredible writers read from their work. Kwame Alexander, Jacqueline Woodson, now Jason.  Jason is reading from Look Both Ways, but the most meaningful for all of these folks is the commentary.  Today, I took down some of his quotes.  He read the short story, "Five Things Easier To Do Than Simeon's and Kenzi's Handshake" and shared with us that the handshake in sign language means, "I can hear you even when the world can't."

And I can't remember the context before he said this but I wrote it down because it came from the bottom of his heart. This guy. "I love kids enough to pay attention to them."

Finally, Jason, as the National Ambassador for Young People's Literature has begun a new program through the Library of Congress, "Write. Right. Rite."  Here's the introduction video:



So every Tuesday and Thursday, Jason will post a new writing prompt. Tuesday it was make up your own award for yourself and today it was make up your own tattoo.  I personally like this one since I have been considering getting a tattoo (don't know what, don't know where) for a few years.  "What do you want to live with you and on you for the rest of your life?"  Interesting...It was a great conversation starter at dinner tonight.

Today Jason on his Instagram emphasized the importance of learning the rules of writing, of the English language, even if it means just so we can "bend and brake them." Maybe ELA teachers wouldn't be too keen in him saying this but I get it.  Oh, that, Jason Reynolds, he is truly special.

You should be able to find all of his Write. Right. Rite videos at this link from the Library of Congress.

Girl Running: Bobbi Gibb and the Boston Marathon



We're still talking about running, right?

Patriots Day is this coming Monday, the day of the Boston Marathon. Not this year.

Did you know women were not allowed to enter the race back in the day?  Bobbi Gibb was the first woman to run it and at first, illegally. She didn't even have the right shoes on her feet.

I love this book written by Annette Bay Pimentel and illustrated by Micha Archer. It was on my Sibert Smackdown list.  We made runners out of giant popsicle sticks and pipe cleaners. I shared it with many classes, across the grade levels. If Bobbi's perseverance doesn't get you running, I don't know what will.

Here are some discussion questions from the Unleashing Readers blog and some activities from Penguin Classroom.


I found this inspiring video of Bobbi Gibb.  What can you do to break the mold?



Looking forward to putting on some miles this weekend.
Just for the swag? Perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment