Thursday, May 14, 2020

An All Day Affair



I should be hanging up my gown right about now and thinking about what a successful gala we just had. I might even be talking to friends (Doe?) to debrief the night. Some years I have to draw a bath. Others I scroll through all the photos.  My feet are achy from the heels.  I'm starving because I didn't eat anything all day. One year our author couldn't sleep from all the adrenaline, she checked out of the hotel and drove the two hours home. I get it.

Today was virtually different, surprisingly mentally exhausting (did I really only cry only twice?) and still pretty great despite the circumstances.

I was getting tree drawings emailed to me before I even finished my first cup of joe.  Parent questions trickled in but with a little guidance, all was good.  Kids without tractors ran around cars, houses and bushes for PE.  They got to know more about a local treasure, Dutch Hollow Farm. Read alouds. Mindful nature walks. Music composing. Research. Science. Something for everyone.

Our finale was a google meet with Loren at the end of the day.  He pulled out his ukulele for a rendition of There's a Hole in the Log at the Bottom of the Lake  for 130+ unmuted people which equals feedback and delays to sing along.  For the older kids, Reds centerfield hopeful, Loren, gave out wise advice on living life while we toured his studio and artwork.

It was a day to remember for sure. When he is able to visit in IRL (next spring?), it will be even more memorable.  Perhaps a bit less work on my end?  The prep is already done, right?  Ha.  Check in with me early next spring. Pretty doubtful.

And this my friends, is a my brief but I hope, spectacular, summary of the day. Not as good as IRL but pretty darn good nevertheless. And blister free. I do always look forward to donning the gown, though.  Next year.




And that's not even everybody at the meet!




I love this one because it shows her working so hard with the Choice Board handy!





PS-Proof I had ice cream for breakfast and it was delicious!



YUM! Next Up: Black Raspberry Chip!

No comments:

Post a Comment