Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Bicycle, Bicycle

The weather was pretty fabulous this weekend.  The sun was out.  The sky was blue. It wasn't too humid or hot. Perfect for a bike ride.

When I graduated from HS, my parents got me a brand new bike. A ten speed! I know. It's crazy to think about now but back then it was SO exciting! I signed up for a biking class in college and had dreams of being a super star.  I was about to say "the next Lance Armstrong" but the world didn't really know who he was yet in 1987 (Did you watch the 30 for 30 on him Sunday night?  It's really good but rated PG-13 at least). Well, my dreams got shot pretty fast, if dropping out after the first day is fast, and I didn't really get on a bike again until graduate school.  No Tour de France for me. My daughter says there's an essay in this whole story so stay tuned.

Anyway, if it's a rainy day and you want to teach yourself how to draw a bike, check out this video:


Whenever I think of biking and books, believe it or not, I think of Major Taylor.  There's a story behind that, too.

When the current juniors were in fifth grade, we had our first gala.  We were still in transition from our "phenomenal people project" to "author gala".  Back then we came up with this project based learning idea that Mr. Lemoncello was opening up a new wing of his library dedicated to phenomenal people. Students researched and came up with extraordinary displays for this wing of the "library."  I wore my first gown and Mr. Reischer a donned his tie.  We invited Chris Grabenstein.  "We're only a 2 1/2 hour train ride up from the city," I practically begged.  Unfortunately, he couldn't make it but he did put a gala in his third book AND dedicate Book 2 to us.  I guess I forgive him 😉.  Speaking of Chris Grabenstein, did you know Book 5 will be out in August? Mark your calendar.

Oh, but I digress.  Justin did his phenomenal people project on Major Taylor after reading the Lesa Clines-Ransome and James E. Ransome biography, Major Taylor: Champion Cyclist. What was he going to do for the gala?  No worries. He figured it out. I still remember his dad hauling in his bike for his display. (I just spent too much time trying to find a picture but my phone and google photos don't go back as far as March 2015. Where could they be???)

Check out the book and then read this resource guide from the Major Taylor Association. The resource guide is chock full of information and activities, including a word search.

Last year Mrs. Kelliher's Newbery book group was The Adventures of a Girl Called Bicycle by Christin Uss.  This means we have multiple copies of the book in our library (check them out before tomorrow!).  Since it was on the Texas Bluebonnet List last year, there are a ton of resources on this page including a printable bike craft.





When I started thinking about this post, bike songs keep rolling (all puns intended) into my head.  Of course, Queen, but what about this Sesame Street one? It will surely make you giggle and smile.



 Now...go get your red (or 17 year old orange Trek, in my case) bike, enjoy your ride and may your tires always stay filled with air...

No comments:

Post a Comment