Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Introducing Michael Arndt!

Back in the spring of 2014, I was at the NYS School Library conference and a guy threw M&Ms at me.  I know. I know.  Maybe not the best introduction for all, but certainly a good one for me.  I'll take free chocolate, especially M&Ms any day! They were muted yellow, white and that blueish-grey M&Ms specifically in the colors of his debut book, Cat Says Meow: And Other Animalopoeia.  The guy was Michael Arndt, who crazily lived in Castleton for some time and all of his siblings attended CES before they moved to Columbia County.
Today he has his second book birthday! I'm excited to celebrate it with my K/1 students and be the first ones to wish him a happy virtual book birthday.  Can you believe we were his first school visit way back when!  And after today, Michael tells me he has THREE new books coming out in the next TWO months!  

Mark your calendar:

Today, May 12
My Heart Grows

June 30
An adult book that this Queens girl will love, Minimal New York City

July 14
One Yellow Sun 
(another die cut board book on counting and colors)

And next Spring a picture book, Thoughts are Air written in verse by Michael and illustrated by Irena Freitas. Wow!

How exciting! 
Michael is a graphic designer by training so he would be great inspiration for older kids, too.  How do you do that?  Where do you get your ideas? How can that shape become something else? Michael is also a big proponent of school librarians (who isn't lol?). A few years ago, he made a wonderful poster about his love for librarians that we still have hanging behind our circulation desk.  

So...Introducing Michael Arndt! Tell everyone you heard about him first here!  Oh, and come to the book birthday party at 12:30.  It's not too late! 





No comments:

Post a Comment